2000 Chev G2500 - 5.7L Stall Issues FIXED

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
mtkauto

2000 Chev G2500 - 5.7L Stall Issues FIXED

Post by mtkauto »

I have a 2000 Chevy G2500 Express van 5.7l. in for stall issues. It usually stalls when it is cold, but has twice for me as well at 140deg. prior to thermostat opening. I first thought it may be a crank sensor since it just shuts down. Fuel pump works and replaced the FP Relay just to be sure. It starts right back up with no hesitation and runs fine - no miss or lack of power. I also cleaned the IAC solenoid, MAF and throttle body. Plugs and wires, cap, rotor air and fuel filter all replaced 10,000 miles ago, as well as intake manifold gasket. Ran fine until 3 weeks ago.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 00' G2500 5.7 Stall issues...

Post by brianp87 »

mtkauto wrote:I have a 2000 Chevy G2500 Express van 5.7l. in for stall issues. It usually stalls when it is cold, but has twice for me as well at 140deg. prior to thermostat opening. I first thought it may be a crank sensor since it just shuts down. Fuel pump works and replaced the FP Relay just to be sure. It starts right back up with no hesitation and runs fine - no miss or lack of power. I also cleaned the IAC solenoid, MAF and throttle body. Plugs and wires, cap, rotor air and fuel filter all replaced 10,000 miles ago, as well as intake manifold gasket. Ran fine until 3 weeks ago.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Whats the fuel pressure when it stalls? What is the computer reading temp wise when it stalls. Does it lose spark or noid when it stalls?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 00' G2500 5.7 Stall issues...

Post by ricmorin »

I've replaced a few PCM's on these from water intrusion. They make a deflector that helps it from happening again. The last one I had just randomly shut off. I called the PCM on that one and the guy took it to the dealer cause it was under warranty. 800 bucks later it was fixed. When we got it back, it had a new PCM too. LOL!
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 2000 Chev G2500 - 5.7L Stall Issues

Post by steven kiser »

i agree with the pcm randomly shutting down. they would also cut out cylinders from time to time. another thinh i've found is the harness along the transmission cross member. there is a plug that corrouds on the inside. as a rule i've found that at the beginning they will force a stall and will restart right away, next step is stall and long crank, last is stall and that's all folks. does this have a remote starter and the reader has been removed from cylinder and key taped to it? this is supposed to read only when starting but i've had a few that caused intermittent stalling. does your scanner have the option of taking a movie so you can review the information?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

we had one in a week or two ago unplug the maf it will default to map if its the problem the stalling will go away 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
mtkauto

Post by mtkauto »

I just wanted to let everyone know.... Fuel Pump was the problem. Because it always started right back up, I was not leaning toward it at first. However, in watching the fuel pressure gauge just as it was ready to stall, it dropped from 55 to 40 at stall, then jumped back up to 55. That is why it would start right back up. I put a fuel pump in it, upgraded the harness and it runs fine.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

As I recall from the ones I did, the wiring harness seemed to be the issue and not the pump itself. However anything's possible nowadays, especially with ethanol fuel.
mopwrforme

Post by mopwrforme »

thanks for posting the fix 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I have had many with these with the harness melting internally. Not saying that GM don't have an issue with the pumps, but anytime one comes in the first place I look is the connector on the crossmember.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com

Return to “GM Trucks”