2000 GMC 6.0L 2500 - Fuel Pressure

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
bear

2000 GMC 6.0L 2500 - Fuel Pressure

Post by bear »

This came in as hard start after sitting.

Checked fuel pressure, was a little low + as soon as shut-off, pressure drops like a rock. Plugged return line + all seemed good. So replaced fuel pump regulator then no change.

Any ideas?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2000 GMC 6.0L 2500 - Fuel Pressure

Post by steven kiser »

although it really doesn't fit the issue here i've seen mass air flow issues that caused hard starting issues. another thing i'll throw out here. did this all happen after the tank was filled the last time?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
MarionB2BAuto
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by MarionB2BAuto »

Again I am late in posting, so this is for future reference of this problem. If fuel pressure drops on GM truck immediately after the pump finishes it's prime, or the key is turned off, then there is problem. GM trucks (and cars for that matter) are supposed to maintain fuel pressure for quite some time after the pump turns off. This WILL cause extended cranking and hard starts. You say you replaced the fuel pump regulator? Were you referring to the pressure regulator? If so, then you might need to look at the tank unit. I have replaced at least a hundred tank units for the exact same problem. Just my $.02 worth.
8 Years USMC as M-60 tank Tech, M-1 Abrams tank Tech, Hull and Turret certified
20 Years with General Motors
15 years With GM as an ASEP Technician Trainer/Mentor
20 Years ASE Master recertified Technician
L1 Recertified
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by 92zman »

does it have alot of black smoke when it starts or runns bad. Could have a stuck injector

Return to “GM Trucks”