2003 Chev Avalanche - 5.3L Code B0044

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2003 Chev Avalanche - 5.3L Code B0044

Post by nickscarcare »

This truck has been here and this code is intermittent. I have not been able to get the truck in here when it is acting up. But the same code is always stored in history, never current. I have unplugged connectors and tested, but of course it shows good. I am guessing it is the clockspring itself, but at $500 for the part, I don't like to guess and the customer would like something done. Anybody else seen this and agree with clockspring, of do I tell him we have to wait till its on and be able to test it.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2003 Chev Avalanche - 5.3L Code B0044

Post by steven kiser »

are their any other issues that happen in conjunction with this. if they loose horn, cruise, or any other functions that revolve around the steering wheel it would just add to my feeling of a bad clock spring. if someone has been inside the column and the wiring harness has been improperly routed and the driver or drivers are constantly using the tilt option there may be a break in the harness. if you do discover a break replace don't repair. in my shop i will not try to repair anything involving the srs system. if the module isn't serviceable by manufacturers specs it gets replaced.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Re: 2003 Chev Avalanche - 5.3L Code B0044

Post by nickscarcare »

I do believe I asked the customer that and I think everything else works ok. He will have the light come on, and sometimes it displays service airbag in the instrument display, then it vries sometimes it will stay on for only 1 minute, and sometimes 30 minutes or so. Yesterday when I looked at it in the morning it was not on and things looked ok, he left, got 5 miles away it came on, he turned around and came back and by the time he got here it went off. I did find a tsb about connectors along the kick panel, that you are supposed to take apart and connect three times, I will try that if he comes back. Just don't want to throw parts at it. And no I WILL NOT repair the wiring harness. I don't even like repairing abs harnesses!!!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com

Return to “GM Trucks”