2004 GMC 1/2 Ton PU - Radio Doesn't Work

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2004 GMC 1/2 Ton PU - Radio Doesn't Work

Post by 92zman »

We got this 04 GMC 1/2 ton truck 4x4 and when the boss bought the truck the radio was locked. Did not think it was a big deal. Took to a gm dealer and they unlocked the radio but it still did not work. In the back with the headphone jack u can plug in to it and it works. Found out we belive then the dash and the doors are out of a 06. It might have a 06 cab not really sure. But the radio will do everything but no sound will come out. Truck did not have the steering wheel controls but believe then it should of so put one in. The onstar computer in missing. Pulled one out of anouther truck and put it in and it did not help. Even tried using a diffent amp.

Out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas it would help out a lot. Thanks
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: 2004 GMC 1/2 Ton PU - Radio Doesn't Work

Post by timbre4 »

Sounds like a radio that has separate zones. Anything that should plug into that radio that is missing (steering wheel controls or other external device) could prevent output from the front because the signal flow is interrupted. The rear output is on a separate signal path and unaffected.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
92zman

Post by 92zman »

The radio has all of its plugs. Does that matter.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

The onstar ant and the cell phone ant on the roof is all messed up too. Hope that don't matter. I am at the end with this truck. The boss wants to fix it and i told him to take it back to the sale. Had to pull the dash out to replace the blend door for the heater. It has been a nightmare..
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Sounds good but still hard to say. The plugs may be the same but the radio is not kicking the front amp on is my guess or something else is missing.

Did the dealer make it work on their bench? My troubleshooting is this radio in another known good truck and then known good radio from another vehicle into this one to determine what's wrong. My guess is the radio is fine but the host truck is whacked up.

They didn't fix this cause it was going to the auction anyways. :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Cory
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Cory »

I think there is some programming you can do with gm radios, I know I have done it before. Not sure if this is your issue, but maybe.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Sounds like this was slapped together. Run the vin and see what it had for options. Anything that's been changed will probably need to be "introduced" to the bcm. I added fog lights to one and had to program the module.

The day's of "just make it work" is gone. Want the easy way? Duct tape a boom box to the dash. There is a module for the speakers. You can change amps, speakers, etc and if it's not programmed it's not going to work. As far as the On Star goes, wanting it installed is easier said than done and i'm not even sure it can be done. I would contact On Star to see. You can turn a cucumber into a pickle but you can't turn a pickle into a cucumber. Someone stripped this out and slammed stuff into it to make it look good. Your boss got a good deal., Did he really think he was that lucky.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Post by 92zman »

We are not looking to make the onstar work we just want the radio to work. But the computer that does the onstar is not there and the two little ant on the roof are not hooked up. I know this is a piced together truck but it is a very nice truck and only has 33000 miles on it. Guess i dont know how to check to see if the radio is putting out single to the amp and the amp to the speakers. Does anyone know what would happen if i put in a aftermarket radio and ran news wires right to the speakers. Really have been thinking i need to go back to school usually i can figure it out but have not had to do much with the new radios. Who ever put this truck together did a great job by looking at the truck you could never tell.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I program those radios every week. You enter the vin and the website then proceeds to ask you about RPO codes for that model. Most of the RPO's relating to radios start with U. Once you have all the correct options, then you program the radio to function. Some even have different EQ settings depending on the cab and speaker configuration. It's possible they didn't program it correctly, but more likely there is a component missing, disconnected or malfunctioning.

Which radio do you have?

Base
Mid Level w/rear seat audio
Mid Level w'o rear seat audio
Premium w/digital recvr, w/rear seat audio
Premium w/digital recvr, w/o rear seat audio
Premium w/o digital recvr
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Oh. I forgot to add the RPO's.......

Base is UQ3
Mid is UQ5
Prem is UQ7
and need to know if you have Y91 or not
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
92zman

Post by 92zman »

it is a bosss system.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Ok got the streering wheel that should be in the truck in. All the buttons work but still no sound. Something elas with this truck is then it says to service the brake booster but it does not have the wireing or the sensor for that.

Return to “GM Trucks”