1993 Chev S10 - Trans / Speedometer

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1993 Chev S10 - Trans / Speedometer

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. Our shops 93 Chevy S10 pl tk with a 2.5L engine and auto trans and 2wd. The issue is that ever since we replaced the transmission with a Jasper unit the speedo operates very erratically.

Barely creeping the speedo is pegged in the dash. The ABS light is on and the transmission shifts very strange. I think the trans shifting issue and the ABS issue are because the speedo is not functioning properly. We replaced the speedo sensor but that didn't make any difference. The scan tool sees 100 mph as soon as the truck begins to move.

I am stumped.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 93 S10 Speedometer

Post by steven kiser »

First thing i would do is call Jasper and open a claim. If its' an issue with the unit you shopuld get paid for your time. Jasper will walk you through the diagnostics.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Re: 1993 Chev S10 - Trans / Speedometer

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. I called Jasper, got a very friendly gentleman. he and I went over the basics to be sure that the correct trans was installed and it was. Beings that we had already replaced the speed sensor he seemed to think it was out of their ballpark. But he did offer me some tips on diagnosis which we will followup on as soon as we can get the old rag (that's what we call it) back in.

Appears to be an electrical issue that may have developed by transmission R&R. I am already seeing my trusty lab scope connected to the wiring. Not sure what kind of pattern I want to see but I need to do some research on that unless someone knows.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I'll bet you're going to find the all to familiar pin pushed out of plug or the infamous broken wire at bend, previously pierced wire breaking, and the grand daddy of all, the ground lead from the wiring harness falling out of the line of sight and not being attached.

On these little beauties i found a bunch of them where the common ground bolt for the dash loose. The ground harness attaches through the front e/brake ratchet. You have to pull the plastic cover back to see it. It's the front upper attaching bolt and the constant banging of the e/brake pedal releasing loosens it after a few years. You can reach around the cover with your finger and hook the harness and feel if it's loose.

Another thing i look for with issues after a transmission has been replaced by anyone but me (since i would know) is it's common to pinch the harness between the block and bell housing. I've had it happen in my shop and when looking it over seeing the harness flat and bared all the while the tech that installed it denying it.

Well enough for me. The first few posts are a bit long winded. They wane off as the day goes along..... :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by 92zman »

bad sensor ring in tranny
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Glad you found it.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:Glad you found it.
Dumb question steve. Who found it?

lol
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Crap, i thought it was a resolution and it's a suggestion. My bad. Let's hope this is the "Get it out of my system" fubar for the weekend. Ya right... :lol: :lol: :lol: This is probably the start of "better" things to come.......
Last edited by steven kiser on Sun May 20, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well fellows! It sounds like Steve is gonna turn over a new leaf. Stand by.

Steve, it's called a senior moment. If you were around our shop, you'd see it all the time. Ask any of my men here. They love the entertainment.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

So that's what it's called. Around my shop it's Steve being Steve. A few examples would be, looking all through the engine compartment swearing away and when asked what was going on i tell them i'm looking for my flashlight, after a few minutes of laughing i realize i'm looking for it with it :shock:, When i leave and get to my vehicle i discover i forgot something and when i pull into the shop someone is standing there with what i forgot, a shop rule is a spare key in any vehicle that i may be driving so when i walk up the street forgetting my keys i can drive into the shop and retrieve them, listening to my phone answering machine in the morning and 75% of the messages are from me to remind myself of things. I send myself a message in my hotmail account so i won't forget, any appointment i've made with someone i tell them i need a reminder call that morning and if they don't speak to me personally i can't promise i'll be there, i have storage lockers at all my rental properties with tools in them because i know i will forget a key tool upon arriving there, if i ever sell all my properties i'll be able to outfit two or three construction companies :lol: there are little red or yellow note books in the vehicles i drive so i can jot down ideas or phone numbers of companies to call, i loose these books all the time so i call the answering machine at home or the shop, etc..............

Here's a senior moment that i've had on more than one occasion. Four years ago when my wife and i were getting ready to go away on a vacation i had 6 grand in cash from a customer in my pocket. I was paid as i was walking out the door so it never made it to the bank. Ya right it was never going to make it there :D. I always have a tuckie i fall back on from time to time when a good deal or a fishing trip pops up. I didn't want to stash it in an obvious place so i tucked it away. A month or two later i went to retrieve it and i couldn't remember where i put it. This was driving me nuts and i had to finally give it up and just hope i would remember some day. I even thought of getting hypnotized. We are installing lights in my truck bay and the parking lot so i grabbed all my wiring stuff i had at home. Friday i grabbed a box of yellow wire nuts and when i opened it there was the money. I don't remember putting it there. I would love to be able to remember doing it but it's not there. I told Virginia simply because i drove her nuts obsessing about it for so long i didn't care that since she knew i was in fact coughing it up :lol:. These are examples of every day occurrences for me. The senior jokes are just a reminder of things to come for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “GM Trucks”