GMC Savannah Bus - A/C - FIXED

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
asample
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

GMC Savannah Bus - A/C - FIXED

Post by asample »

Sorry I have not posted this earlier. Wanted to make sure that it stayed fixed and I have not spent much time in the office since my last post with being out of town to help my sister celebrate her 50th wedding anniversery, then took an Alaska cruise. The day we got back our daughter, son-in-law and grandkids spent a week with us.

Anyway, back the subject.

The underhood label from the bus manufacturer called for 5.5 pounds of refrigerant, which we were charging to. The first two compressors would not develope pressure or suction on the bench. The third compressor, a different manufacture, would develope pressure and suction on the bench but still got same results as far as pressures and air temp when installed.

We decided to slowly add refrigerant to see if anything would develop. It slowly started to cool and pressures came to normal. It finally functioned well after charging with 10.5 pounds or refrigerant.

Live and learn I guess.
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: GMC SAVANNAH BUS AC -- FIXED

Post by brianp87 »

funny you say that just had a 2011 ambulance in that after its new motor was onde at ford it wouldnt cool. They charged to label and it was wrong also . Guess they should have tried it on a road test.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Nice job finding it
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

brianp87 wrote:funny you say that just had a 2011 ambulance in that after its new motor was onde at ford it wouldnt cool. They charged to label and it was wrong also . Guess they should have tried it on a road test.

I have found that over half of the labels on the ambulances I service are incorrect......... The funny thing is that the labels are put on by the ambulance factory and not by Ford/Chevy/Dodge.......
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Exactly they dont even know how much it takes and they built it. But if the dealer would have tried it they would have known it wasnt cool. Doesnt take long in arizona to tell.
brother bubba

Re: GMC Savannah Bus - A/C - FIXED

Post by brother bubba »

Seems like an old fashioned sight glass would be helpful on these after mod systems. Seems like I remember a church bus a few years back. Thanks for reminder .........
Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

:lol: :lol: :lol: sometimes the shop with the guy that just adds until it gets cold wins. Doesn't it stink when we have to revert to cave man tactics. Glad this one has been put to bed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

steven kiser wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: sometimes the shop with the guy that just adds until it gets cold wins. Doesn't it stink when we have to revert to cave man tactics. Glad this one has been put to bed.
I even look like a cave man....... I like to try to charge by specs, but sometimes on custom stuff, it just don't work that way. Sometimes you just have to use your experance and gut to fix things.....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I did one once on a firetruck. It had a sight glass and I used that instead of the spec decal. It definitely took more than the label said. Good find.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
asample

Post by asample »

Glad I'm not the only one that has been stymied by this situation. Just wish it hadn't taken me so long to find the solution. When the first two compressors could not be coericed to produce suction and vacuum on the bench it just seemed logical to suspect the compressors.

Lessons like this are learned well and remembered.

Thanks for the advise and encouragement.
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598

Return to “GM Trucks”