2003 Chev K1500 - 5.3L VIN T LOF Sludge?

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2003 Chev K1500 - 5.3L VIN T LOF Sludge?

Post by nickscarcare »

Customer brought in his truck for an oil change, and when I pulled the drain plug out, at first no oil came out, then a big blob of sludge and the oil drained. I left it drain for a while to help get all the sludge out. The oil filter was completely filled with the sludge. Customer states he has gone through about a gallon and a half of coolant since the last oil change, and has not had any drips. I did not see any coolant leaks. He is religious about changing his oil. I use a shell house brand oil for my changes. I am thinking possible head gasket or engine oil cooler crack? Any help is appreciated.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2003 chev k1500 5.3 vin T

Post by liljoe »

These are bad about heads having cracks in them causing an internal coolant loss. Add dye to system, run a while and pull valve covers and look for signs of dye.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2003 Chev K1500 - 5.3L VIN T LOF Sludge?

Post by steven kiser »

Have you been servicing it?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I have been servicing it for the past year and a half. Never had any sludge before this.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

If there is a sign of condensation on the dip stick or oil cap, well in all reality i wouldn't need it, I'd strongly recommend yanking the mill because there most likely has been irreparable damage done. If it were a cracked head (they are a huge issue but it's been my experience either they leak into the cylinder or the cracks open up when they're removed rendering them junk) the plug will show signs of dye on it. I think you may find a bad intake or oil cooler. If the coolant hasn't been changed when the intake is off look for acid etching on the coolant ports. I usually clean them super clean, fill with J.B. weld and with a flat file work it down even with the machined surface. Works every time. I've used it on block faces as well with terrific results.

Getting back to what i would do if it were in my shop is when i replace the engine check the core policy, replace radiator and cooling hoses for the oil. They can be purchased through Dorman for a good price.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by 92zman »

Intake gasket. Have seen this a few times.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Agreed with the intake gasket post. If you remove it look at the condition of the intake around the coolant port.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I thought these were a dry intake. I am going to look into the head gaskets when the customer gets back from vacation, he is gone for 2 weeks then going to bring back.

507-345-6425
92zman

Post by 92zman »

They are but coolant does run up too the intake. Pull the intake and u should be able to see the build up where it was leaking head or intake. When pulling apart take it easy not to push anything away or something.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

OK, while i admit finding the coolant leak is part of the process here's my take on it. We have an engine that has eaten a bit of coolant and it's circulated through completely and thoroughly. It could be the intake, or a head issue. Being that the truck is 9 years old and should (by national stats) have over 100k on it in my opinion dictates an R&R. We know that the bearings are probably pitted and when the heads are removed any cracks (90%) are, some don't even appear or become problematic until their taken off. Also if it's repaired you'll own it until the customer gets rid if it. Basically as it sits you're talking heads, upper intake, water pump, and the probable cause if it has an oil cooler the radiator. If in fact it as an oil cooler that's about the only thing i would be willing to replace, the radiator. I would replace it, change the oil a few times running it at operating temp for an hour or two in between allowing as much to boil away as possible.

If it has a cooler take the lower line off, pressurize the cooling system and see if anti eventually trickles out the bottom.

If any vehicle or piece of equipment comes into my shop with this condition i strongly suggest a R&R and if customer decides to repair i require a disclaimer signed. I learned a long, long, time ago that when a customer decides to go against my recommendation it's their decision and i'll not be held responsible. G.M gave birth to an engine that rusted and sludged the internals of the block. Usually it would appear with a coolant leak. It may start with a freeze plug, then another so we would replace all the second time except the ones in the back of the block that the transmission covered. Then it was the water pump, then the intake, then no heat because the core was plugged. I was working at a shop then and it wasn't my deal but i watched customers leave because we never "repaired" the leak or we didn't know what we were doing. The customer may not want to hear what you tell them but you've laid it out and now they know and decide. The disclaimer (at least to me) when is put in front of them, is like shaking them awake. I usually get "you're serious" or "Maybe i should get rid of it or do as you suggest". I don't care, i just want to make sure i'm covered. I take a loose loose and turn it into a hopefully win. Enough from me. I just always remind myself that the vehicles of today aren't the ones of yesteryear.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Be patient with me for a bit guys, as I stated the customer is on a vacation though Canada and up to Alaska and possibly down to California. I think he is supposed to be back next week, then I will get the truck back in here. This thing only has 85K on it. With as plugged as the oil filter was, (I think it weighed 2 pounds with sludge), the oil pressure is pegged, I am not a big fan of not replacing an engin on this thing, and if I do it will get a new radiator and new oil cooler lines. I need to get the truck in here first before any of that can happen. :)

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Not an impatient issue with me at all. Just yapping while sitting around drinking coffee patting myself on the back. It always feel good swapping stories, questions, answers with other techs.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Alright got the truck in here, pulled valve covers and it has the Castec heads on it. I can see some clean spots around some of the head bolts, so I decided to pressurize the system and on the pass side with valve cover off, I can watch coolant start to seep out of the heads. This truck now barely starts because of the coolant in the engine. Gave a call to Jasper and have a new engine on the way!! Hopefully all goes well, as this is the first time I have used Jasper. I have read on here how many other people have good luck with them, so I am giving them a try.

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I dont think you will be unhappy with your choice.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I've had great results with jasper and support is outstanding.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Yea Jasper is great. Hope u got the install kit it comes with every thing
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Well the Jasper engine is going great so far, customer is happy. Yes I got the install kit, and I do have to say I liked this one. I have got these before and from some places, you get cheap parts in with the kit, Jasper has AC Delco plugs, wix filters, goodyear belts and hoses.

507-345-6425

Return to “GM Trucks”