2005 Ford F350 - 6.0L Head Gaskets-FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2005 Ford F350 - 6.0L Head Gaskets-FIXED

Post by Tim Martin »

This guy brought in an 05 F350 dually with a 6.0L diesel with a blown head gaskets. I need some input into replacing the head gaskets on this tank. It only has 57,000 miles on it. Do I pull the engine or the cab? Also, what all for parts am I going to need to figure on replacing while I have it apart? While I have worked on alot of 6.0L diesels, I have not done a head gasket replacement yet.
Last edited by Tim Martin on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2005 F350 6.0L Head Gaskets

Post by brianp87 »

Ive done an ambulance and an excurision. 2005 e350 2004 excursion. I can send you my ideas. Whats ur fax #?
Id pull cab but thats up to you. Id also do egr cooler with one from bullet proof diesle while in there. Ill fax u part #'s and copies of my final bill for what ive done. http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

yank the cab. it's not as difficult as it seems. we use heavy tie down straps lifting it. a little reminder on this way. as stupid as it sounds open the doors and run the strap through. i've seen shops that have run them through the window openings and when they tried to lift the cab and needed to get inside couldn't. if you have a customer base with a few of these or develop a reputation of being whacked enough to work on these like i have, i suggest making a platform on wheels. i purchased two from a lumber yard that was closing and have blocks of wood i arrange so i can put the cabs or even cars or trucks on to move around. my ceilings are only 11 feet and i'm, "the" bull in a china closet. i'll walk into anything that can be. i also take 12X12 blocks, raise the vehicle, take the front tires off, lower it onto the blocks that are aligned with the frame where the bumper attaches. this allows me all sorts of extra wiggle room. replace the egr, tube, thermostat, possible water pump and hoses, crank sensor (just because sw we all know will fail), pressure feed back sensor and make sure tube is clear. now i'm going to add a few tsb's here 09-26-1 this one is a biggie. 09-8-3, 07-3-10. if it were in my shop i would want to know why, with so little mileage, it overheated so bad as to trash the gaskets. i wouldn't touch this for anything under 30 hours plus.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

jasper has a drop in and drive 6.0 just about 16k list. includes injectors and all.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

With that low of miles, I would be suspecting that it has been chipped and ran hard. That being the case, I would go for EGR delete, and make sure to use the studs, they clamp way better then the factory bolts and have the advantag of being easier to tighten down when torquing the heads.

As for pulling the cab, I have not done one that way yet, I plan to try it on the next one that comes in. Have done them in the truck and it can get to bet a big pain in the stomach bending over the radiator support for so many hours pulling on tight bolts that do not want to break loose and lifting the parts in and out of the engine.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

I can to a point agree with what you are saying and understand where you are coming from, but this truck engine does not have a performance chip in it. So far as the driving style of the owner, that I do not know. But I do agree that I need to find out specifically what caused a head gasket to go out at the mileage it is. I will say this much though for the 6.0L, as one instructor put it "This engine was designed broke". I do not get surprised at anything with this engine. Sort of like the 350 chevy engine through the years. If it could happen, it happened to the 350. A good runner but alot of issues. So far as how to access the engine, I plan to remove the cab. Customer already has agreed to head studs and an egr delete kit.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2005 Ford F350 - 6.0L Head Gaskets

Post by brianp87 »

Both that ive done had no programmers. one was high mileage ambulance other was low mileage family wagon
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

I been lucky, mine have all been pick ups, did a 7.3 in an ambulance and not much fun at all. Don't look foward to my first van job......
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

Tim Martin wrote:I can to a point agree with what you are saying and understand where you are coming from, but this truck engine does not have a performance chip in it. So far as the driving style of the owner, that I do not know. But I do agree that I need to find out specifically what caused a head gasket to go out at the mileage it is. I will say this much though for the 6.0L, as one instructor put it "This engine was designed broke". I do not get surprised at anything with this engine. Sort of like the 350 chevy engine through the years. If it could happen, it happened to the 350. A good runner but alot of issues. So far as how to access the engine, I plan to remove the cab. Customer already has agreed to head studs and an egr delete kit.

we have installed the juice with attitude monitor, and banks 6gun among others. the edge was able to have the egt changed by some code he found on the net. he blew the head gaskets. we removed the unit from the vehicle and put a pyro in the cab using the egt probe from the edge. we keep the oe trans plug for reinstall if they want to remove the unit. dealer did head job under warranty. just because it's not there now doesn't mean it wasn't there before they blew it.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

We are getting this truck in to start on it. What all do I have to remove to lift the cab?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I havent done it but I guess. Its just body mounts and harness. Id use the pads on my lift to lift the body but maybe thats just me
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

What about the brake lines? Where do they come apart?
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

tim youtube.com punch in ford cab removal its a neat video of the proceedure filmed off the toolbox of a ford dealership tech. it should answer all your questions.
perfection-automotive.net
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

mopwrforme wrote:tim youtube.com punch in ford cab removal its a neat video of the proceedure filmed off the toolbox of a ford dealership tech. it should answer all your questions.
Thanks. Will do.
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

my prayers are with you.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Juice with attitude, would that be sailor Jerry?
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

don't let the "first time" over complicate the job. remember take off the front tires to lower it. makes it much easier to work on.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Got the cab in the air. Piece a cake doing it. Ahhhh that's the way to go when working on these strokers!
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

there ya go, not a virgin anymore. next time will be even easier.....................
Tim Martin

Re: 2005 Ford F350 - 6.0L Head Gaskets-FIXED

Post by Tim Martin »

Just an update on this one.

The cab is back down, the engine runs, the owner paid the bill, drove off and so far is a happy camper. Now we know how to do the next one. It actually went surprisingly well, considering we had not done one of these before. We all decided that pullin a cab is rather easy so we'll be doing more of that.

Thanks guys for all the great ideas. That's what this forum is all about.

Return to “Ford Trucks”