2007 Ford F150 5.4L Engine Repairs vs Replacement

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2007 Ford F150 5.4L Engine Repairs vs Replacement

Post by Tim Martin »

I am needing some input from the rest of you experts.

I have this customer with an 07 Ford F150 truck. It has a 5.8L vin V engine with 175,000 miles on it. It came in for emissions inspection - failed because of a code for the right variable cam timing solenoid POO12 (Intake Camshaft Position Timing Retarded - Bank 1). Upon diagnosis and customer permission, we replaced both variable camshaft timing solenoids. Now, the POO12 code is gone and we now have a POO22 (Intake Camshaft Position TIming Retarded - Bank 2) instead along with a PO345 (Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit - Bank 2). Upon further diagnosis, we discovered very little oil getting to the bank 2 (drivers side) head and camshaft. In discussing the issue with the customer, he agrees that I should work up an estimate for repairing the problem as well as an estimate for an engine replacement which by default will be a Jasper engine if we go that route.

My question is this: With the mileage on this engine, which should I be doing and recomending, repairs to this engine or engine replacement? If by repairing, we address this issue, what is the next issue we can expect with this engine and the mileage on it?
Last edited by Tim Martin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re:2007 Ford F150 Engine Repairs vs Replacement

Post by steven kiser »

In my shop under these conditions we would replace the engine. This particular case because of the oil pressure issue. Crank shaft is most likely walking by now and filings will be in oil feeds.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Re:2007 Ford F150 Engine Repairs vs Replacement

Post by ricmorin »

There is a small screen that prevents debris from getting to the cams and phasers located in the head. These plug up and block oil flow. With that mileage, it'd be engine time at my shop.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Re: 2007 Ford F150 Engine Repairs vs Replacement

Post by Tim Martin »

In spite of the high cost of an engine replacement, as I am working on an estimate for repairing this one, I am getting cold feet, so to speak. It's like, where do I start and where do I stop with repairs. At 175,000 miles, obviously the cam journals are worn, the oil pump, there has to be metal particles all through the system and the list of potential comeback reasons gets longer. What I am getting at is that you have helped me decide that I am going to strongly advise investing in a Jasper engine.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Don't let the customers finances dictate how you're going to repair vehicle. You'll end up doing what's necessary this time for a couple or three grand and when something else bombs in 6 months it's going to be your fault. You talked him into it, You should've known this was going to happen, You should have pushed harder for a new engine, You should have convinced him the filings would return, You're the professional and shouldn't have done it this way to save him money. No matter what happens you're putting yourself in a position where you don't really want to be.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Steve's right. I might do more than just strongly advise. I might just politely decline anything other than an engine replacement. If this goes south and the courts get involved, the judges almost always side with the consumer. Follow your gut. :o
603-622-6434 x203

Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. Here is an update to this job. We did convince the owner to have the engine replaced which we did. But this engine has a vibration at idle to about 1,100 engine rpm's whether the transmission is in park, neutral, or any forward gear as well as reverse. I contacted Jasper about this and in addition to doing a power balance test as well as compression, they had me replace the harmonic balancer. The vibration is still there. My question is is there any way to determine if it is a flexplate issue or torque converter issue?
steven kiser

Re: 2007 Ford F150 5.8L Engine Repairs vs Replacement

Post by steven kiser »

I believe you can unbolt flex from converter and slide the converter back about 3/4 of an inch. If you can't then the converter didn't make the final step and front pump may be blown. If it moves back start the engine and see if vibration is there.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea steve, this is a Ford an the torque converter has studs on that go through the flexplate an the converter cannot be slid back far enough to run the engine.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Duuuh my bad. Just getting back into the groove. I would still see if you take the nut's off if it will slide back about 1/4 inch. If not and it's stuffed you may have damaged the front pump and converter.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

If it cannot be run with the trans disconnected im not sure how you can tell.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote: I would still see if you take the nut's off if it will slide back about 1/4 inch. If not and it's stuffed you may have damaged the front pump and converter.
Yea, we did take the nuts loose and kinda slid the converter back and then refastened it to the flex plate but that did not change it one way or another. I am of the opinion it is a crankshaft out of balance or something like that. Whats so interesting is that above 1,100 rpm the vibration goes away.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

The only way to know for sure is to separate the to from one another and see. If the vibration was not there before the engine replacement then id lean that way also but the only way to know with certainty is separate them.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I wanted to do some research on this but I couldn't find a 5.8 engine for a 2007. VIN 'V' ? Isn't that a 5.4?
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Ric, you are correct. It's a 5.4 flex fuel by vin. Another thought on this one, if it is a mechanical balance issue I would think the vibration would increase with the rpm's. Personally I've seen crossed ignition wires do similar things along with broken valve springs and vacuum leaks. Another thing I've seen is too much oil and injector wiring issues.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

ricmorin wrote:I wanted to do some research on this but I couldn't find a 5.8 engine for a 2007. VIN 'V' ? Isn't that a 5.4?
Sorry fellows. My mistake. I'll correct it.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:Ric, you are correct. It's a 5.4 flex fuel by vin. Another thought on this one, if it is a mechanical balance issue I would think the vibration would increase with the rpm's. Personally I've seen crossed ignition wires do similar things along with broken valve springs and vacuum leaks. Another thing I've seen is too much oil and injector wiring issues.
Steve, it interesting you mention these things. This engine has coil on plug. An beings its a Jasper unit, all the valve train components should be new. When I go into mode 6 data on my scan tool, all the pids are right on the money. No dtc's, fuel pressure is within specs, and vacuum is a solid 20 inched a vacuum.

Return to “Ford Trucks”