2004 Ford F350 - 6.0L Fuel Injectors

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

2004 Ford F350 - 6.0L Fuel Injectors

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Got this beast setting codes P0269, P0272, P0275. Test all lead to failed injectors. This my first time at replacing injectors on one of these. The procedure in Mitchell seems pretty straight forward. Any hints or tips? Thanks, Jeff.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 Ford F350 - 6.0L Fuel Injectors

Post by steven kiser »

The only thing that would make me hesitate just a bit is the cylinders are 3,4, and 5. The firing order is 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8. They may be bad no question about that but I would take a good look at the fuel injector control module. The lock tabs on the harnesses tend to break on these and harness wiggles free just a bit. The contribution % along with the firing order, in my humble opinion calls for a FICM replacement. Now unfortunately it doesn't take much for these injectors to puke so the simple fact that they haven't been given the chance to work correctly if the module is the culprit may cause a failure. I've had more than one where the module was bad or the harness worked loose and when repaired or replaced one or more of the effected injectors failed to recover.

Another few things we try to convince he customer to do when we replace injectors. If I have more than one in a head I try to push for replacement of all of them. If this wee a van there would be no way I would just replace one, they suck and even though the money is good I try not to revisit. I would pull oil pressure sensors for the high pressure pump and make sure there is no metal filings in the screens. This will effect the injectors but not at this level. This is just to insure strong starting in the future making the repair even better. I got into the habit of using Rotella motor oil in the Fords with 6.0's in them. Make sure there are no oil leaks or any other issue the customer may feel will be cured with the injector changes. Make absolutely sure the extended warranty recall doesn't effect this truck. By age limitation it doesn't look like it but the customer would be made aware if it were in my shop. Just covers me incase someone tells him it should have been covered and yadda, yadda, bar room talk etc. Personally I've started running into issues with Ford reman injectors so I switched to Jasper remans. A bit more expensive but I carry that over to the customer. Just one more thing I've had a few issues with is the electrical connectors at the injectors. Be rear careful with the clips that are holding them together. They'll sail so I make sure any open air port is taped closed just to insure I don't get and obsess about a clip flying into it. I've run into issues where the plugs were glued because a clip was lost or broken. That's all I got, good luck. Oh one more little tip. I also take the wheels off and lower vehicle and if I'm feeling a bit like a bull in a China Closet I'll remove the hood, it just makes it easier for me to bounce around in there. I have a tech that's like an effen monkey and will just bounce around under the hood tearing it apart. It really pisses me off. I'm a lummox and he's a like a ballerina. O.K., one more warning and this is it. Be careful of the small circulation hose attaching to the radiator on the engine side, drivers side. If you accidentally lean on the hose the nipple will snap off. If this happens call me, I've had a few snap off in my shop and developed a repair that works well insuring long life of the radiator.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto

Thanks Steve. I will recheck the FICM. I just wanna be sure I cover all my bases before I drop the est on the customer. He is already aware this could run upwards of 5g. And thanks on the tip on the Jasper remans. I will call them.
Jeff @ Able Auto

OK...sold the job. Installed jasper injectors, all 8. Now I have a no start and have no pressure from the HPOP. It was working fine when brought in. Not getting any oil from the oil manifolds at the ICP sensor. Is there a process to bleed the oil rails? How long should it take to build up pressure. It fires with a squirt of starter fluid (I Know)...still no oil from sensor port. Any suggestions? Thanks,Jeff.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Re: 2004 Ford F350 - 6.0L Fuel Injectors FIXED

OK finally got it figured out. When installing the injectors I replaced the stand pipes with updated parts. seems I had a brain fart and installed the left pipe in the wrong port. Switched it today and it fires right up!
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Interesting. Glad you got it figured out. Got the cab off one now.
Jeff @ Able Auto

I was physically ill when it wouldn't start. When I talked to a ford tech he knew exactly what was wrong. He snickered and said "Dont feel bad, you aint the first to do that!"
On a side note we did all this w/o pulling the cab.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Were doing egr delete, head studs etc on this one. I ordered the new style feed pipes to find out this one is an early design which we haven't seen before and they are different.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

hmmm
Attachments
7-2-14.jpg
7-2-14.jpg (179.06 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor