2008 Ford F150 4.6L - Head Removal

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2008 Ford F150 4.6L - Head Removal

Post by nickscarcare »

I have a 1FTRF12WX8KE88953 2008 f150 with a 4.6 in it. The heads need to come off, Mitchell is saying to remove the engine. It looks like there is enough room to pull the heads off with out pulling the engine. Has anyone out there done these before and know for sure if the engine has to come out?
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2008 Ford F150 4.6L - Head Removal

Post by steven kiser »

I've heard of stories that tech's have removed the head without removing engine or lifting cab. I've found lifting the cab off is easiest for me. My bulking frame can't wiggle into areas under the hood to do what I want so off it comes. Basically, yes, the engine needs to come out or in my case the body gets lifted off and engine stays basically right where it is since everything else is moved. Lifting the body isn't that bad once you've done one and if you work on a lot of Fords I suggest you give it a shot. There is a Ford dealer in my local so we've done a few. If you let it be known like I did that you do work like this, since people are forced to go to dealer because no other shops in my area will do major work or are any good doing it you'll start seeing more and more. Well back to point, we lift body because we find it's easier and it leaves the engine right in the frame and it's nice and tight, won't fight you like they tend to do on an engine stand, perfect height to work on, and a lot of places to place all the crap you take off so it's out of the way. Pulling the engine isn't such a big deal either especially if you don't look for short cuts. Inspect the exhaust manifolds while they're exposed and if you see any and I mean any sign of wear or heat distortion they need to be replaced. If you run into broken exhaust bolts in the head usually I get them out by using left had drill bits. Drill a small pilot hole and then jump three sizes and that usually causes a bite bind and it's enough to drag the broken stud with it. So in ending I don't remove the heads in the truck. Another little thing here is I always add time to the job for many reasons. #1 is it never, never, never goes as planned and #2 is even if I add 500 dollars I'm still cheaper than the dealer and in my opinion do a better job since I clean all the egr ports and stuff to prevent future issues.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Sorry no help from me
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

The reason for removing the cab or the engine for cylinder head removal is due to the long head bolts that are used. The bolts, especially the rear bolts on the right head usually do not clear the heater box. That usually is the issue. Gas engine or diesel, we usually lift the cab, makes for real easy work.

I agree with steve's comments that when other garages, even the dealer finds out your shop does this kind of work, you will be having plenty of work to do because less and less shops are willing to tie up a bay and a man for the length of time it takes to do work like that.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I have done some Fords before and lifted the cab, and yes I agree that it is not bad at all. I am not worried about the toughness of it, I have done many worse than this. I work on Tellehandlers, skylifts, skid loaders, tractors, pretty much anything that comes in. I don't shy away from imports, got the classic cars linning up already also. It just looks like there is plenty of room to get the heads off without pulling engine or lifting cab. Just thought I would see what others are doing. I think the last one I lifted the cab on was a '03 era truck. My biggest problem is shop space, my 5 bays fill up fast and only 2 hoist make it hard to put a job on one hoist and tie it up that long. Need a bigger shop, too bad the city didn't like me going in our old fire station, would have had 9 bays and lots of room.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

="Tim Martin"

I agree with steve's comments that when other garages, even the dealer finds out your shop does this kind of work, you will be having plenty of work to do because less and less shops are willing to tie up a bay and a man for the length of time it takes to do work like that.
Really that's crazy why would one turn away this kind of job? Minus the down time possibly needed for the heads to be machined this should be a fairly quick job.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I'm not turning it away, just doing it on the floor to not tie up a hoist. This is a big fleet, I think they have 40 trucks total, we like their business, I have been working on this guys trucks for 15 years.

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

On some of the ambulances the cabs cannot come off and we take the front end apart for removal.
Attachments
amb1.jpg
amb1.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea, the E vans present a different type of challenge, especially with the diesel engines in. But I agree with others comments, these Ford vehicles give us alot of work due to the sheer numbers of them out there and the issues they have as well as the fact that many shops prefer not to work on them. But we enjoy this type of jobs and do many of them, not limited to Fords though.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Its true. I think the ford diesels after the 7.3L are all problematic. Personally id be upset if I owned any of them.
Attachments
Amb turbo 3.jpg
Amb turbo 3.jpg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

As a rule after we get two or three vehicles in the shop for work that requires engine or any other major part removal I try to develop a tool, brake, bracket, housing, etc that will make our job easier. I made an bracket with a plate attached to it (could be swapped out for different applications) that allowed us to lay it flat across the intake manifold bolt it flush in vans. As we lifted the engine there is a handle on the rear of the attachment that we turn and it moves back and forth adjusting the pitch. We can keep the engine level and up tight against the upper cowl edging and it will slide right out. Saves a bunch of time. So far the only thing we have to help with the lifting of the cab is a set of custom cut straps that attach to a lift beam we developed that will attach to the lift arm so it gives us no wasted space and the body will clear the chassis. If we have to move the chassis we take tire chalk, mark the tires and floor so it can be lined back up for easy install. From time to time we use go jacks if it's more of a front and back movement.

Another point here is most shops won't work on jobs like this because of space and loosing a tech for all that time and the dealer usually stops this type of work unless it's under warranty or was sold with an aftermarket warranty from that dealer. Not only do we record all the necessary tools after the second or third time to be able to take one of the shops work carts and set it up for the job. Also we will use real time to price out the labor time. Either it's at a different hourly charge or I adjust the time allowed for the job. Any time we do heads we clean all the crap out of each head bolt. Not just a quickie, we will spend about an hour cleaning and prepping them. We clean all the carbon out of intake and runners. We wash out the engine bay and even in some instances hit it with a rattle can. We replace any or all lines that show and wear or rust. On this Ford as on all others we check the ball joints. So much easier to replace with body off. If a truck needs all that additional work it can run an additional 2 grand. I also add hours to the flat rate time, if the time pay's 23 hours I charge 28. It's the only way I can dedicate a tech on it and have it fit my pricing matrix. It has to fit since I will get overloaded with this type of work. Shouldn't say will, should say may. During the time I dedicate a tech to the truck I will rent vehicles for customers that need high profit jobs to keep the car or truck on the lot. 35 dollars a day to keep a 4 tire, 4 wheel brake job and a 90k inspection even for two days is nothing compared to the loss profit if the customer takes the vehicle to return another day next week. The possibility of them bringing it some place else or trading it in is to great for me to take that chance. Sorry for the babble but once again I felt there was much more to consider than just the job at face value.
Last edited by steven kiser on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

When we here do a cab lift on a Ford application, we use the lift arms and lift the cab and let the chassis set precisely where it was. We usually block the wheels so it cannot move and when we go to set the cab down, it slides right into place. Not bad job to say the least. I realize it ties up a lift for the time being but we have more than one life so its not a big issue.

Return to “Ford Trucks”