2005 Ford F250 6.0L - EBP Sensor

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2005 Ford F250 6.0L - EBP Sensor

Post by nickscarcare »

Customer comes in with codes P0299, p0470, replaced exhaust back pressure sensor twice now and both times for about a year afterwards it works good, then comes back in sooted and clogged up again. Is there something that can be done to clean these out better?
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 05 F250 6.0

Post by brianp87 »

Buy a new truck lol....
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Ford F250 6.0L - EBP Sensor

Post by steven kiser »

OK, have hit a few of these and the final repairs have all been pretty much different. The maintenance of the truck has a lot to do with it. The pressure tube for the sensor plays a part and instead of replacing them I remove them and heat them cherry red and burn soot out. Plugged EGR coolers or ones loaded with carbon have been an issue especially if the truck doesn't see much highway use. I will take them out on the interstate after an overnight soak using sea foam or another cleaner. I usually pick a spot where the truck won't be in the way (outside) a load the system with the solvent by keeping the rpm's up and then slowly reduce the rpm's while continuing spraying solvent until it stalls. Next morning I take it out and get into it and carefully watching exhaust If it stays clean I take it back to shop and test back pressure, turbo response and egr flow. I've run across situations where there have been bad injectors or on occasion contractors dumping 2 cycle into their trucks because it was blue. I learned the hard way that the back pressure needs to be checked when truck is at operating temperature. If this were a sudden situation I would ask you if the fuel economy had dropped or if customer uses the good old method of cutting the dsl with gas in colder temps. Can't do this anymore since all of the sensors and computers. I make my customers aware that a yearly sensor replacement may seem like the cheapest way around it but it will eventually cause major financial issues. Like I said the answer may revolve around the use of the vehicle. I have a few customers that felt they needed a dsl truck because it was a statement and all the guys at the local coffee shop or watering hole were impressed. Dsl's are made to work and work hard and if they aren't they get sick and break down. I've also had issues outside the box like bent tail pipes, or Mickey Mouse repairs (where the pipe rots and falls away) that restricts the flow. Exhaust systems that have been installed at the so called "speed" shops that effects the back pressure can cause this issue. I always find it kind of ridiculous that a pimple faced tech that can burn off an expensive engineer designed exhaust system that will last the life of a vehicle and install one that sounds Wicked Pissa can cause a bunch of issues is the hero of the shop. Anytime I have an issue that is a head banger I may eventually tell the customer that all add on things may have to be removed and OEM installed and in these situations I mean factory issued. I've had issues where aftermarket exhaust will not sound correct, vibrate, or just suck and cause issues. I'll stop babbling now. Feel free to call my shop or my cell if needed. These trucks can be tricky especially if not used as designed or any modifications have been made without taking any consideration that it will effect performance. I really need to stop now.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

The customer has a 5th wheel camper that they pull with it. He don't go cheap on anything, and the sensors I have put in have been Motorcraft, I don't use anything but. He takes very good care of the truck, its a 05 with 70k on it. I know these have lots of issues with turbos etc, and was just wondering if there is some way that the tube can be cleaned good and maybe have to tell him he needs to beat on it more. LOL That won't go over good with him. He now has 8k on since we did the first sensor.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

The first thing I would do is to explain to him that it needs to be driven. The soot is taking over and it needs to be cleared out and the best way is driving it hard. I have a few customers like this that have a diesel just because it's the thing to do and they are babied. When I get them in the shop for service I make sure all the fluids are full, add sea foam to fuel and do a soak stall through the air intake. After sitting for a long time I make a large cup of tea, roll out onto the Interstate, get by all the construction and then open it up. The big black cloud behind me tells the whole story, it's babied. Not driving a diesel hard is like carrying a Howitzer for persona protection. It will impress the heck out of your friends but in all actuality has absolutely no purpose and anyone that knows anything about firearms will think you are a boob and it's a fine waste of a cannon. If I were you I would start little by little to explain to the owner he's going to need to prepare to trade in the truck, get ready for an enormous expense when the exhaust, turbo, and EGR system needs to be replaced for the tune of about six or seven grand. The only other option is to purchase a wrecked Dodge with a Cummins in it and swap out the power trains. The Cummins are by far the noisiest beasts out there but can take the idling and will out pull and out work just about any other light truck diesel. It can be done and since you're installing the Cummins there isn't much in the line of computer controls and other crap that deters from the primary design of the diesel. As we can all tell I'm a huge fan of the second generation of the Cummins used by Dodge. The support from Dodge really stinks or stunk when they first came in the Rams but has come a long way since. Now if Dodge could only design a truck that didn't rot. My ideal truck if I were to be given the chance to design one would be compromised of the older generation. All late 90's or real early 00's. A dodge Cummins power train, Ford body and XLT interior and G.M. front end, preferably a 70's series Dana and topping it off a normal ride height with reinforced suspension and drivetrain mounting points and a much heavier tube for the shafts and drop catches along it, at least four. Steel would be fine for rear but I would want to use a heavy finely braided nylon loop for the front. The last thing I can think of at this point is a solid shaft and no, none, nada, zilch, zippo tuner kit or transmission tinkering. Putting all this aside and getting back on track drive the heck out of it, use Sea Foam in the tank and spray into intake allowing it to force stall at around 2k and don't tell customer what you are doing so he or she won't jump right in and inadvertently add to much snake oil into tank thinning out fuel so much it grenades the engine and then and only then will you get blamed for it and bad mouthed all over Yelp and other sights like this hurting your business. This is all done by someone who purchased a great work truck that was whored by the manufacturer to make it more attractive to the Ken's ands Barbie's who made the Jeep Wranglers and BMW's financially out of reach to the "common" man because the manufacturers saw that they could cut way back on their product since it wasn't being used anymore as it was designed to be and the poor SOB that purchased a Wrangler, Liberty, Cherokee or in all actuality any other SUV by any other manufacturer that had been producing them as actual working, strong, reliable and what ever else made them a good all around vehicle was getting a piece of tin that wasn't worth the Tin it was stamped from because it had been down graded so much simply because Ken was using it as a bookend to the Beemer that never would be driven as a European sports car again and this also could be stripped so much it made some a bit dangerous at high speeds or windy roads. I remember when good Wrangler or Levi work overalls (the ones with all the pockets, loose fitting, with the built in suspenders that almost every painter or carpenter wore) could be purchased for around 18 bucks until all the Yuppies started buying them because some pop stars or other celebrities (celebrities my a**) wore a pair once or twice driving the price up from 18 bucks to 50 or 60 and they all started being manufactured with colored pocket rivets and fancy embroidering on the pocket face. Now you can't even find them and the old reliable work ones are available but the quality stinks and the material is so thin it will tear if you don't pull up the legs if you crouch down. There are good work cloths available like Carhart (I think that's how it's spelled) but they are in my opinion too heavy and take a long time to break in. Now in my usual way I've hijacked this post, twisted it so bad I'm talking about overalls and how the Ken's and Barbie's effected and somewhat destroyed the SUV and Pickup quality for the working man. Heck I've seen truck beds totaled because a skid of bricks had split and tumbled. If this were a truck of the 60's or 70's the bed would have been scratched or dented a bit but by no means twisted so bad it folded in when the tail gate was forced open. I guess this is a case of supply and demand and vehicles being purchased strictly for show and go not what they were initially designed for, mmmmm, what was it again? oh ya, WORKING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Again, sorry for the ramble but it felt so good
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

He does work this truck. He drives it hard even when its not pulling anything.

507-345-6425
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Buy a new truck lol...

Thanks.

507-345-6425
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Fixed

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

what was the repair

Return to “Ford Trucks”