2011 Ford E350 5.4L - Hard Starting When Cold

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nokomisauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2011 Ford E350 5.4L - Hard Starting When Cold

Post by nokomisauto »

I have 2011 Ford E350 Van 5.4 L with 68000 miles this van can to my shop with starting problem I found when the outside at temps of 10 above or below zero this van will turn over but will not fire I found if i hold throttle about half way down it may start at times most of the time it floods out right a way fuel pressure at 52 lbs on key up and when running pressure is 48 lbs no codes things i have done is check air temp reads as what the temp outs is with in 2 degrees the coolant temp is close to the out door temp
I replace all fuel injectors and new spark plugs and i still have same problem of the engine floods out right away on startup
Has anybody run into this problem I have checked for tbs and none for this problem
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2011 Ford E350 5.4 Hard starting when cold

Post by liljoe »

What exactly is it doing? Does it blow black smoke, foul the plugs, or just won't start? When it won't start, what do you do to make it start? Have you checked fuel quality? How is the throttle body, is it coked up? Also, I would check what the alcohol content reading is, if it higher then actual content, it will cause a rich condition like you seem to have.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
nokomisauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by nokomisauto »

The alcohol test is 15% alcohol in gas. It blows black smoke when it starts when it not starting its has spark . But on the scan tool show in one of pids is showwing 51.4 % alcohol. this van has new factory cat and o2sensors do too someone steeling cats on our town last summer.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I've had one like that. I reset that learned value and it fixed the symptom.

The early flex fuels used a sensor to monitor alcohol content. I think the newer ones just use o2 data and 'learn' a value from there. If the PCM underestimates the alcohol content, a “lean” condition will result (the PCM will be commanding high fuel trims). If the PCM overestimates the alcohol content, then a “rich” condition will result (the PCM will be commanding low fuel trims).

If there is no direct resetting method, clear the KAM and recheck the value.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

What is the temp reading through the scanner? I've seen situations where after certain temps the pcm reads -40 and it floods. Another thing I would see on occasion is the valve timing out due to a chain issue or Valve Timing due to pressure. Is the correct oil being used? Just a few thoughts. Just did some treading on this and MAF sensor pops up as well as a bad vent valve that allows raw fuel to be sucked through the evap system and flood when cold. hope this helps.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Trucks”