2000 Ford Excursion - V10 02 Monitors: NEW INFO

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
joetngallagher

2000 Ford Excursion - V10 02 Monitors: NEW INFO

Post by joetngallagher »

This one is weird to me. Vehicle has no downstream 02 sensor???? The upstream 02's are switching between .15V and .88V and both are going rich to lean normally. The pcm shows the evap, egr, catalyst and secondary air systems "NOT AVAILABLE"?????? The 02 & 02 heater readiness tests will not reset and vehicle has been driven constantly for eleven days. NO CODES HAVE SET. I am confused. Why no downstream 02?, Why evap?, cat?,egr & SAS are not available? Keep alive pin has battery voltage. I'm thinking PCM but not positive??? Has anyone seen this before?

Scratching my head down in Tennessee again!!!!!!!
Last edited by joetngallagher on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2000 Excursion V10, 02 minitors won' reset

Post by ricmorin »

joetngallagher wrote:This one is weird to me. Vehicle has no downstream 02 sensor???? The upstream 02's are switching between .15V and .88V and both are going rich to lean normally. The pcm shows the evap, egr, catalyst and secondary air systems "NOT AVAILABLE"?????? The 02 & 02 heater readiness tests will not reset and vehicle has been driven constantly for eleven days. NO CODES HAVE SET. I am confused. Why no downstream 02?, Why evap?, cat?,egr & SAS are not available? Keep alive pin has battery voltage. I'm thinking PCM but not positive??? Has anyone seen this before?

Scratching my head down in Tennessee again!!!!!!!
When you say the vehicle has no downstream o2, do you mean that nothing shows on your scanner or there physically is no sensor? It should have 2 upstream and one downstream. This vehicle does have an Evap system. What scanner are you using? Does it auto-id? Maybe try one year newer or older and see if you have the correct data.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Try global
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Absolutely. It may be the scanner.

As far as setting the monitors, did you try the drive cycle?
603-622-6434 x203

joetngallagher

Post by joetngallagher »

I used 2 different scanners, Genesis and Modis. I only saw upstream sensors showing up on both, in global & vehicle specific. I looked at vehicle and there is no downstream sensor, not even a place to put one, in the exaust and the customer claims he bought it new and has never had any exaust work done. vehicle has 105,000 miles. Cat and Converter are both factory.

Due to my stupidity I never looked to see if vehicle had evap and egr system. There is no evap or egr system.....DUH I just assumed(and we all know what that does) these systems were mandatory on all cars made in USA.

Put vehicle in drive cycle and ran it 5 days then put it in drive cycle again and ran it 6 days. Approximately 75 miles each time with several restarts and cool downs.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

joetngallagher wrote:I used 2 different scanners, Genesis and Modis. I only saw upstream sensors showing up on both, in global & vehicle specific. I looked at vehicle and there is no downstream sensor, not even a place to put one, in the exaust and the customer claims he bought it new and has never had any exaust work done. vehicle has 105,000 miles. Cat and Converter are both factory.

Due to my stupidity I never looked to see if vehicle had evap and egr system. There is no evap or egr system.....DUH I just assumed(and we all know what that does) these systems were mandatory on all cars made in USA.
Check the door tags....could be a gray market car. This vehicle should have an evap, egr and post cat.
603-622-6434 x203

ricmorin

Re: 2000 Excursion V10, 02 minitors NEW INFO BELOW

Post by ricmorin »

Also, post the data on the certification label. If it's an american vehicle, it'll say there. Should be a nuber like 9 EQM-BAA or a larger number like 0 AJ1 AA 6 A 00. There was a protocol changeover in 2000.
603-622-6434 x203

joetngallagher

Re: 2000 Ford Excursion - V10 02 Monitors: FIXED

Post by joetngallagher »

Probably a Grey Market car. Vehicle info sticker isnt there. This vehicle did not have a downstream O2, wiring for O2, or a place to put one. Took it to emission testing center and explained problem. They tested it at the tail pipe and it passed. I realize that this is not a FIX, but at least I now know that testing center is aware of the problem and they worked with me. Also, this is the first time I ever got some assistance from any testing center, they usually just fail vehicle.
ricmorin

Re: 2000 Ford Excursion - V10 02 Monitors: FIXED

Post by ricmorin »

joetngallagher wrote:Probably a Grey Market car. Vehicle info sticker isnt there. This vehicle did not have a downstream O2, wiring for O2, or a place to put one. Took it to emission testing center and explained problem. They tested it at the tail pipe and it passed. I realize that this is not a FIX, but at least I now know that testing center is aware of the problem and they worked with me. Also, this is the first time I ever got some assistance from any testing center, they usually just fail vehicle.
Soooooo, if this is a gray market car, how did a dealer sell it to an American customer? Something doesn't sound right. Maybe not all the facts here. What's the VIN?
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Re: 2000 Ford Excursion - V10 02 Monitors: NEW INFO

Post by steven kiser »

i've had a few that were purchased in mexico. years ago a customer brought a 82 suburban into the shop for a tune up a few years back and when i opened the hood i felt like i was in a time machine. if your ever on vacation in mexico or the carribean look around at all the cars. 5 years ago a person that worked at the hotel we were at heard me talking about nascar and he was a huge fan also. he took me out to see the new car he had just purchased and decked out. i went along and he indeed had. he had contigency stickers on the fenders etc. it was a riot. a toyota tercell. he popped the hood and i crossed my arms into a crusifix. it had points and a venturie carb. i hid in my room the rest of the day..................................... :lol: you see cars and trucks you've never heard of.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Trucks”