2003 Ford F150 - 9/16" Spark Plugs

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2003 Ford F150 - 9/16" Spark Plugs

Post by nickscarcare »

I have a customer who has a 2003 f150 with the Triton in it and has the 9/16" spark plugs. I was wondering does anyone know of a trick to get these things out without breaking any plugs. I heard running AC Delco X16???? carbon cleaner through it is supposed to help.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2003 F150 Spark Plugs

Post by liljoe »

This is a thread all about it, several good ideas that work for different people....
http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5142
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

its a 50/50 shot. If they break you need a special tool to remove them
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

basically what i do is loosen the plug and if it fights me i'll pour warm wd40 into the port and wait it out. believe it or not i've had better luck with a 3/8 impact gun at low pressure than a ratchet.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

steven kiser wrote:basically what i do is loosen the plug and if it fights me i'll pour warm wd40 into the port and wait it out. believe it or not i've had better luck with a 3/8 impact gun at low pressure than a ratchet.
I have poured bg 44k around the tough ones but only if I have the luxury of keeping it overnoght. SO very rarely.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

steven kiser wrote:basically what i do is loosen the plug and if it fights me i'll pour warm wd40 into the port and wait it out. believe it or not i've had better luck with a 3/8 impact gun at low pressure than a ratchet.
I believe! Caliper bolts on the old Fords I would break a socket with a ratchet but not an impact.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

wbuxton wrote:
I believe! Caliper bolts on the old Fords I would break a socket with a ratchet but not an impact.
with the air tool the bolt/plug is being torqued straight on. Using a socket & ratchet almost always has torque applied at a slight angle.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Well the guy finally broke down and brought me the truck. Took about 6 hours to do. I bought the Lisle 65600 kit for removing the broken plugs and it worked great. The only thing I will do before I do another is tell them I need it a day in advance and do a carbon cleaning with some delco x16? I think it is. But all around it went good, will gladly do another for a whatever time it takes charge. No set time here!! Patience is required on these. Thanks guys!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Re: 2003 Ford F150 - 9/16" Spark Plugs

Post by steven kiser »

now that the initial fear of a "first" is gone the second time will be a lot easier. thanks for posting the results.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Has anyone been using any antiseize on the bottom of these plugs to help keep the carbon from sticking to the plug? Last couple I have been just installing the new plug, but always looking for better solution to these pos's.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
use nothing. if you feel the need to do anything clean the bore with a round brass brush and carbon cleaner. anti seize will do nothing but inter fear with the plug ground and solidify around the plug reach and that's all folks. I've never seen it happen but i have seen anti seize that's been exposed to high heat and it's like solid Aluminum.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Like I said I haven't, I was just seeing if there was a better answer to these things. Don't change what I have been doing!

507-345-6425
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
use nothing. if you feel the need to do anything clean the bore with a round brass brush and carbon cleaner. anti seize will do nothing but inter fear with the plug ground and solidify around the plug reach and that's all folks. I've never seen it happen but i have seen anti seize that's been exposed to high heat and it's like solid Aluminum.
Same here after I saw first hand what happens to antiseize after it is subjected to all that heat for a long time. We do not use antiseize on any spark plugs but I tend to think that if the spark plugs are going into a cast iron head that may be ok but not when it is going into aluminum. No way.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Let's not forget the fact that it will insulate from ground and cause weak spark.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Steve, I didn't mean on the threads, I know not to do that, I meant on the lower part of these plugs. I didn't, I haven't and I won't start, I was just checking to see if there was a better solution on these. This truck has 75k on it and they all came out hard, and the customer has been running schaffers fuel treatment in it. I know just a bad design! Thanks!

507-345-6425

Return to “Ford Trucks”