2000 Ford Excursion - 6.8L Pan Findings FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
NPASC_mike
100 Club: Active Contributor

2000 Ford Excursion - 6.8L Pan Findings FIXED

Post by NPASC_mike »

Found a couple of these in the oil pan of a V10 , Anyone care to hazard a guess? I have NO clue. They look like some sort of ball bearing retainer. Trucks in here for low oil pressure at idle, Found mains worn, no knocking , runs great, no top end noise. There's 2 or three of them,
IMG_2482A.jpg
IMG_2482A.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
Last edited by NPASC_mike on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is always enough time to do it right the first time.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2000 Ford Excursion - 6.8L Pan Findings Pic

Post by fortknoxx »

That does not look good. I would guess it's a piston pin bushing. sealed power pn 1989YA {#1989Y}

or a keeper to the lifter.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

Hard to see it, I will try to take a better pic, the rounded part is Concave like it fits around a ball. I've scoped all around the pistons and don't see anything out of place.
I just really wanted to figure out what this was before I started tearing into it.
It appears from one of the pieces in there that these two parts were attached at one point. at one end _/\____/\_ ( like my drawing? lol)

Still reminds me of a part of a ball bearing.. Customer has owned this truck for 5 years and never had anyone inside the engine... It appears to me that no one else has been in here either. Had a supercharger failure about a year ago, but I've never seen anything like this in a supercharger either...

I did find a sticker on the oil pickup screen that said " Cylinder 6"
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

it's got to be from the supercharger, who really knows what's inside them. it does look like a retainer that i've seen used when a moveable part is secured in cast aluminum. i've taken things apart that aren't made to be disassembled just to see what goes on inside. this has to be part of the charger.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

I remember from the past about bearings from an injection pump? High pressure oil pump???
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

That's what I originally thought, as I was told it had a " catastrophic" failure... The charger drains straight into the pan,( bolt on serp belt driven) and without taking the pan off it would be impossible to get ALL the pieces out.

Better to be safe than sorry, I just hate estimating something and then tearing into it and finding a "whoops"... :shock: Hate to ahve this thing torn down then realize that I needed something I was gonna have to wait another week or two to get....

Ever take apart a Saab AC compressor? the pistons make a COOL center piece for the coffee table :)
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

wbuxton wrote:I remember from the past about bearings from an injection pump? High pressure oil pump???
That was one of my suspects, I've never had one of these pumps apart, but we are putting in a new one anyway as part of the job.
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Email the photo to Jasper Engines and Trans. I bet the people there can tell you what it is.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

I seen a post bout a supercharger. Does this truck have one? From the factory or add on?

I agree the pieces look like a roller bearing retainer. But I have taken more than a few 6.8L engines apart and have not seen a roller bearing yet. So I am not sure.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

This vehicle didn't come with one from the factory. I think the OP was referring to a different vehicle when writing about the supercharger. :?:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

Truck is equpped with an add on Vortec Supercharger.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Nice. :shock: I own 2 V10 equipped vehicles. I've always wanted to do that.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

I will admit, it's impressive when you're on the throttle. As you can see by the hood liner there's JUST enough room for it. With a little fabricating the brackets could be made to make it fit a little tighter.
Attachments
IMG_2475.JPG
IMG_2475.JPG (82.73 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2477.JPG (86.15 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i wonder if the insulation missing from inside the hood had anything to do with the super charger exploding. what stinks is that in my opinion, i would somehow i would need to resolve that issue because i would feel it's part of the job. i'd need to eliminate any possible fault that could cause and failure. i totally agree with the fabrication issue and it's right up my alley. i hope that the drivers side motor mount has had a safety chain attached to it so if the mount blew it would hold the engine to keep the alternator from tearing the hood up.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

I've seen a few changes I plan on doing "while i'm in there". Trying to see of can get access to the only milling machine on the island for a few hours to work on a bracket modification while we are waiting for parts. ( Oh about 2 weeks) Customer bought this I think when they lived in the lower 48, now it gets about 5 miles day on it, and the fastest speed limit here on the island in a whopping 35 mph. :roll: ( talk about FUN trying to diagnose driveabilty issues) I don't mind going a little beyond on this job as she works for the Phone co. here and they roll all their service trucks through here. In the end, it's like you said, I want everything to be right so as not to see this monster back for any reason, unless its to drop off a plate of cookies. :mrgreen:
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

Customer was in tonight to leave deposit on the parts for the bottom end. As the truck will more than likely be here in Dutch the rest of its life, he is entertaining the thought of not putting the charger back on. Its about a year old, with maybe a 1000 miles on it... at 35 MPH any takers? lol
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

use it in a crab boat. sounds like you need dodge power wagons up there. 4th gear, flat out, down hill, 50mph wind behind you and you're topping out at 53 mph. but if it could get traction and a long enough chain it could pull your building like it was a boat trailer. :lol: :lol: ya, taking the charger off would be a prudent move. putting it on e bay would be a thought but what about the shipping charges from there...........
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

steven kiser wrote:use it in a crab boat. sounds like you need dodge power wagons up there. 4th gear, flat out, down hill, 50mph wind behind you and you're topping out at 53 mph. but if it could get traction and a long enough chain it could pull your building like it was a boat trailer. :lol: :lol: ya, taking the charger off would be a prudent move. putting it on e bay would be a thought but what about the shipping charges from there...........
I WHOLE heartedly agree on the Dodges. :) I Miss my ol Ram Charger, We use the USPS for just about everything, ( depending on size) Fed ex and UPS take weeks to get here and leave also, because when the planes are full, the USPS stuff takes priority. Priority mail on this gem would be in the $100.00 range give or take a few bucks.

EVERYthing we order here has freight attached to it. Its just a part of life out here, When I first got here, a customer spent $285.00 on shipping for a transfercase for a rusted out ol 1987 Dakota..he just said, well, gotta have the truck, what else am I gonna do? I thought it was insane then, after about 9 months here now, I guess I'm used to it. :?
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

Anyway... pieces I found were part of the previous Super charger failure, no one ever cleaned out the pan afterwards... parts made it into the oil pump and bearings tearing them up pretty good. New Crank, pump bearings , reclocked the supercharger so it doesn't hit the hood, and She is back to doing 0-35 mph at the speed of the space shuttle... Thanks for playing along. :D
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

steven kiser wrote:it's got to be from the supercharger, who really knows what's inside them. it does look like a retainer that i've seen used when a moveable part is secured in cast aluminum. i've taken things apart that aren't made to be disassembled just to see what goes on inside. this has to be part of the charger.

I guess Steve wins a Dealiest Catch T shirt???? IM me a mailing address :wink:

Return to “Ford Trucks”