2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Spark Plugs FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
onetonf350
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Spark Plugs FIXED

Post by onetonf350 »

2000 Ford Excur V10..........Ok , Im out of ideas. All nine plugs with new spring and boot kits went perfect. I'm at the last one on the passenger side under the dash and the socket wont go down over the plug. It feels like the socket is going up against a rubber piece. All the COP rubbers came out in one piece and accounted for, so is the insulateor in the socket, but it feels like thats whats down there. Weve tried sharp things, pry bars, any ideas or tools we could try?
Last edited by onetonf350 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Page
Can I get a little bit more of "ME" in the monitor?
503-622-3330
http://www.mthoodautoandtire.com
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: Excursion V 10 spark plugs GET OUT

Post by Tim Martin »

Using a small flashlight, hold a small circular mirror above the plug hole at an angle and shine into the hole. You'll be able to see what is in there. Slick. I do it all the time. Have 3 different size mirrors just for such times. A boroscope also works if you have one.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

I would bet that it is a piece of an old boot from a previous "tune up" that probably olny got 9 plugs replaced......
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I do the same as Tim. The only thing I can think of is if a piece of an old boot was let behind the last time the boots were changed. Maybe someone just forced the new boot down and bolted it tight leaving the broken piece pushed down to the hex of the plug.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
onetonf350

Post by onetonf350 »

I think youre right. Its all brittle and cant get anything to break it up. Modifying a socket has not worked yet. Gonna get more drastic. Thanks. It can never be the easy one huh
Chris Page
503-622-3330
onetonf350

Post by onetonf350 »

With a mirror you could see a chunk of something on both sides of the plug. Here's what worked.
I took a 17 mm deep socket and ground out the inside so it would not catch on the hex of the spark plug. Then with a sawsall and a file I cut some sharp teeth in it. Kind of made it look like a hole saw bit. Then had to make the outside of the socket a couple thousandths smaller with a sanding disc so it would not get stuck in the tube. Jammed it down there and attached the air wrench to it and cut that crap out of there for bit. Then blew it out with air and removed it with the regular 5/8 socket and it worked. 2 hrs tonight. I think it was a chunk of the boot too but not from these coils though. Thanks guys
Chris Page
503-622-3330
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

another tip here. i take pictures of these issues. way to many times i get "the other shop didn't have a problem". as far as the customer is concerned since it was running fine there wasn't a problem. a picture is worth a thousand words. i've had issues that went just like that before i started taking pictures. now i get "i can't believe the shoddy work i got before". it also makes the extra labor go smoother.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I had one in were all the boots were trimed like 1/4 inch off. seems the last place didnt like the fact u had to push hard to make them seal.

Return to “Ford Trucks”