2003 Ford Explorer - 4.6L Timing Chain Issues?

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2003 Ford Explorer - 4.6L Timing Chain Issues?

Post by steven kiser »

i have the snap on one with 6 microphones. you can clip them anywhere on the vehicle and isolate them through the control. this allows you to work closer to the source. i have the single microphone one as well to really isolate the sound. i'll also add that at this point i would probably r&r the engine. way to much time already invested and i feel there is a good chance that something else will arise in this engine even after you've resolved this issue that will lead the customer to feel it's the same issue that's already been paid for.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I also considered a r&r engine as well but was reluctant to advise that drastic a measure just for noise under acceleration. However, all things considered ............... which way is this one headed? It will be interesting what the final discovery turns out to be.
protraxrptr17
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Ok. After the new oil pump, the tensioners are holding correctly. I took the valve covers back off and now have hydraulic pressure to both tensioners, so there was an issue there. I now believe the noise is coming from somewhere else. With the stethoscope, it really sounds like its coming from the flywheel area. I am going to loosen the TC nuts and run it and see what happens. We have already looked at all of that really close when the transmission was out, but maybe we missed something.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

The fords usually have studs instead of bolts. I'm just an old counter guy but I don't think that will work.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

wbuxton wrote:The fords usually have studs instead of bolts. I'm just an old counter guy but I don't think that will work.
Yes, yer right on track. I think it is pretty much across the board for the Fords that there is studs instead of bolts that fasten the flexplate to the torque converter.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

yep, and if you don't line them dead on when socking up the bell housing to the block kiss the pump good bye.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:yep, and if you don't line them dead on when socking up the bell housing to the block kiss the pump good bye.
Now steve. ............ How would you know that?
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

Tim Martin wrote:
steven kiser wrote:yep, and if you don't line them dead on when socking up the bell housing to the block kiss the pump good bye.
Now steve. ............ How would you know that?
From the Forum!
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i had one towed in under a jasper warranty and as soon as i looked and listened i knew exactly what had happened. what about the older fords that if the converter didn't land the third click and it would wipe out the thrust bearing in the engine. i had one in that was eating belts. took me a few to figure that one out.

Return to “Ford Trucks”