2008 Ford F150 - 5.4L 3V Codes P0012, P0022

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
hughesautomotive

2008 Ford F150 - 5.4L 3V Codes P0012, P0022

Post by hughesautomotive »

Truck came with a no start condition. Bought at an auction with 98K on it. We put new Cam Phaser Solenoids in and the truck ran ok at idle. However, as soon as its warmed up, it falls on its face. It rough idles, sputters, then dies after a few mins.

Anyone out there with any thoughts?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 08' F-150 5.4L 3V P0012, P0022

Post by steven kiser »

so, the way i see it is there is absolutely no history. it's like this truck just fell from the sky with a no start. these sensors can be tripped because of no oil pressure. it's all about the cam timing. we've had a few issues with these where metal filings get caught in valve. i believe there are a few bulletins on these. personally i would spend some time looking into contributing factors. i always get a bit unnerved when one of the body shops or garages i deal with drag in an auction vehicle with a no start. i feel like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. what i can convey, is when this happens these vehicles get a comprehensive exam. there may be a wiring issue or a bad pcm. however i would look real careful into the oil pressure issue.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Once in a while I get a vehicle in the shop that a customer bought at a car auction. And in a situation like that, beings there is no known history, I start from scratch. Begin with the basics and go from there.

In the case of this vehicle with these codes, I have not seen that yet but I am remembering on an earlier Ford model with variable cam timing there was some issues with oil pressure and dirt in a control valve. Not sure if that would apply in this engine or not. In reading down over the trouble shooting flow chart, I think I would be focusing on a VCT Solenoid for being stuck open for whatever reason. As I see it, the codes are the symptom and not the root cause.

Just a thought.
hughesautomotive

Post by hughesautomotive »

Well, sorry about yesterday's post being a little less than really informative. Let me give you a little more info. The truck came in with the no start. After new plugs it started. It ran like crap but started. After it started to warm up it did this sputter and then die thing. SES light came on imediatly with the P0012 and P0022. Told the customer that he basically bought a terd. He requested that we change the VCt Solenoids based on a diagnosis the "Seller" gave him. So, we changed them at his request. However, I noticed the "old" VCTS' look fairly new with no screen blockage. Needless to say it still runs like crap after warm up. So we took it to our local Ford dealer. They said it had skipped time and more than likely had a tensioner issue. We put 2 new tensioners, new chains and re-timed the engine. No change. The VCT Phasers looked to be brand new. Now with all that done, its throwing 4 codes - P0012, P0022, P0340, P0345. And it does have brand new cam sensors.
Tim Martin

Re: 2008 Ford F150 - 5.4L 3V Codes P0012, P0022

Post by Tim Martin »

With your scan tool connected, are you able to read desired and actual cam retard and advance degrees? If so, you can compare the readings with each other. This clue you in as to where the issue is. I'm kinda suspecting an electrical issue on this one. However to circumvent diagnosis will not work either.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

ok, here's my 2 or 3 cents worth. get a good pair of track shoes and run away from this one. this ended up at the auction for a reason. :shock: i'm leaning towards a lot of "people" have been heaving parts at this truck. i've seen issues like this where even after the original issue was repaired (timing chain) the damage done by so called mechanics is overwhelming. i had one where the harness had been "repaired" and the person must have been color blind. repairing faults that are caused by failed components or broken wires are one thing but tracking down and repairing issues where someone has done something way out of norm is very difficult. the other issue is "are you going to get paid what you really deserve"? the customer bought the truck and was given the parts that he needed to fix it :lol: :lol: :lol:, that might have been a road sign. this may be a situation where, are you ready for this, someone bought a vehicle at the auction and even though it's a bomb they still expect a bargain and you're the person that's either going to make this happen or the no good thief that screwed them. i don't like being the "gloom guy" but look at it on paper. i bet you already have at least 10 hours into this (i'm figuring way low), a timing chain, at least two tow bills, and i don't know how many hours on the computer trying to get any helpful information. let's not forget replacing the plugs. well in the greater scheme of things you'll never get any where close to what this is worth. in a nut shell here, you may have repaired the initial fail point already but now are chasing damage done by other "mechanics :lol: " that have tried and failed. unless this person that now owns this truck is a saint no matter what the outcome you're going to loose. the only choice you have is which way. do you think there is a possibility that someone tried to hide the problem before it went to the auction. if this is the case the may be cut wires somewhere. sound like something that can't happen? don't bet on it. by now i'm thinking you're so deep you don't want to quit or determined not to let this beat you. don't beat yourself. look outside the box.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Ruger77
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Ruger77 »

I agree with Tim, look at desired VCT advance and actual. Also, try grounding the solenoids manually and see if the cam timing changes while monitoring it on the scan tool. Last one I had in, 2 shops said it needed phasers, they were referred here by their relative who is a customer. They didn't want a diagnose, just phasers. I pushed, and they let me diagnose it. It was a bad connection at the PCM (which I later found out had been replaced under Ford warranty). Found it by monitoring VCT solenoid grounds (command wires) with lab scope. Also, Jasper rep. says oil pumps cause a lot of the non-electrical caused VCT problems. He had a real neat video of an oil pump spraying oil everywhere. I haven't seen this yet myself though.
TerryKey

Post by TerryKey »

Did you ever get this truck fixed? I have its brother.

Return to “Ford Trucks”