2005 Ford Escape - Hybrid Eng Replace

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
onetonf350
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2005 Ford Escape - Hybrid Eng Replace

Post by onetonf350 »

We're replacing a 4 cyl. 2.3 litre hybrid engine in a 2005 Escape AWD. 75K, on wednesday. It looks like its lived a life with not enough oil and it rolled into our shop rattling hard Monday. Im replacing it with a good used engine from a reliable source, with 70K.

I've looked up the procedures for deactivating the battery system, but thought a quick check with my Forum Members would be wise.

Any thing out of the norm that you all know about?

Hope you have a good day
Chris Page
Can I get a little bit more of "ME" in the monitor?
503-622-3330
http://www.mthoodautoandtire.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Ford Escape - Hybrid Eng Replace

Post by steven kiser »

first one for me so i'll be watching this post. i do know that you should use special gloves when deactivating the connection as well as a static strap. that's all i have for you. good luck.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

just a thought when i was going threw tech. training for chrysler they would allow the local independent shops to sit in on our training it was at no charge to the shops. the closest traing center for you would be in portland i dont know if its worth the call or not but the # for the center is 503-977-4153. i know very little about them up to if your not trained get some. good luck actually im really in need of the training myself if you come across a web site or other source please post it thanks 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

if jasper sell them they way help with any questions. even though it's not from them and you may have never purchased anything from them i've never heard of them not helping. i just took a tour through one of my tech sights and i saw a few blurbs about relearning and programming.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by a&mauto »

Always 3 steps. Key off, 12 volt battery disconnected, main high voltage switch disconnected. Confirm with known good volt meter. You will be safe. The tank of gas is more dangerous than that high voltage battery. We are all just used to having gas around.
Straight from Ford:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/200 ... escape.pdf
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
mopwrforme

Post by mopwrforme »

thanks for the post well needed info 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
onetonf350

Post by onetonf350 »

Good news... Learned alot. Which basically means that it took alot more time than Mitchell or alldata suggests. 14-15 hrs?? How about 30+ for our first one. Disconnect the normal 12 v battery, then theres the orange dial switch in the back near the batteries. Turn it to the service position and remove it from the vehichle completely. Then wait 5 minutes and ready to go.
A couple things to keep in mind at least for this Escape. #1 engine and transmission/ electric motor assy, come out the bottom. So be sure to have some kind of cart type thing with good strong casters. The assembly is Heavy and not flat on the bottom, so its akward. We used a metal welding bench and improvised along the way. #2. There is two completely seperate coolant systems. One normal for the engine and another electric water pump system that cools the electric motor stuff. It took double the coolant and time to get water to all the sensors so this thing would run and idle properly. Plus double the coolant connections to be respondsible for, and many were difficult to access. This car had to travel Three hours back home to Tacoma Washington as it left our shop and then two days after that to Tuscon Arizona, so I went over it with a fine toothed comb to make it ready for delivery. Stress me out
Chris Page
Can I get a little bit more of "ME" in the monitor?
503-622-3330
http://www.mthoodautoandtire.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

no one said knowledge is cheap. great job and now you know. like you said special jobs call for special needs. on drop outs like this we use a 10 ton dolly that i got from a lumber yard that went out of business. i use 2x4's and screw them to the deck to make a solid work surface. no wobbling or tipping allowed. another little tip here on this or any coolant system. i purchased a vac and fill tool. on this particular application it saved me a lot of time and aggravation. no need to bleed, just vac and fill. i've dealt with these before through body shops. never did an r&r but banged my head a bit on the first few.

Return to “Ford Trucks”