1998 Lincoln Navigator - Code P0354

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
NPASC_mike
100 Club: Active Contributor

1998 Lincoln Navigator - Code P0354

Post by NPASC_mike »

Code is defined as Coil driver secondary malfunction.

1998 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 AT AWD

Compression test OK
Fuel pressure drop test OK
New Coil at other shop and new spark plug ( actually other shop replaced all 4 coils on the Right bank, engine still skipping)
Coil is receiving a signal to fire from the PCM.
Fuel pressure is 38 psi KOEO
Engine Mechanical condition verified OK.

I have double checked all the above and am ready to toss a PCM at this. But I am curious if anyone has reflashed and had success with this code. or if I'm wasting my time and get a PCM. Takes about three hours to do any flash updates here is why I'm asking. Gotta love this 19kb/sec high speed internet out here. :roll:

I cant see any TSB's related to this code. Hoping someone else has seen this one as I have not.
There is always enough time to do it right the first time.
NPASC_mike

Re: 1998 Navigator P0354

Post by NPASC_mike »

Side note, Did swap out COP on cyl 4 just in case with another new one. EGR function is normal, Cyl 4 is always the cyl misfiring.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1998 Navigator P0354

Post by steven kiser »

sorry if i missed it in the post but i didn't see anything about the trigger impulse to the injector. on some applications i've found that the codes just identify the cylinder and if there are a few different possible codes one that's close will pop up. i believe you mentioned you checked the impulse at the coil connector. was this done using both coil terminal wires or a stand alone ground and power supply? i've had a few issues where the impulse signal was there but no power or ground at the other wire. this has happened with coils as well as injectors.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
NPASC_mike

Re: 1998 Lincoln Navigator - Code P0354

Post by NPASC_mike »

I made a tool that sends 6 500ms pulses to an injector , just like the GM pressure drop test on the TECH2 and referenced the results to several other injectors each cyl dropped roughly 6 psi ( after I made it I found out someone sells this tool, so much for a patent..lol)

I used my noid light to check the impulse at the injector and coil. Most times if I have seen an injector problem I see a P030? (? refering to the effected cyl) I've never seen this P0354 before.

skip is most noticeable at idle and off idle to about 2300 rpm then seems to smooth out.

Another thing that is funny, after our tests, coil replacement, cleared codes... i cannot reset the KAM, I keep getting a "vehicle is in an incorrect state" error. This is with KOEO

Return to “Ford Trucks”