2006 Ford E150 - 4.6L Long Crank Time

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2006 Ford E150 - 4.6L Long Crank Time

Post by nickscarcare »

I have this E150 that the customer says alot of time it will crank a long time before it starts up.

They say it is like 30 seconds or so; has only 67,000 miles. The spark plugs, plug boots, PCV, fuel pump and fuel filter are all new. I have only had it act up once or twice for me and it was as I was picking the vehicle up and didn't have a scanner or anything hooked up. It has not had any codes in it.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Cory
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: 2006 Ford E150 - 4.6L Long Crank Time

Post by Cory »

Are there any codes in it? I would also check fuel trims, see if it is running loo lean or rich. What is the fuel pressure?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

what is the fuel pressure during startup. sometimes it may be a regulator.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

No codes, only on startup, otherwise vehicle runs good. Fuel pressure has been at 40. Returnless fuel system, it was dropping intermittently, thats why I told them may be fuel pump, they opted to try it. I am thinking maybe injectors, if it is still dropping off. The problem with this vehicle is I only get it from 10 am to 2 pm. May have to tell them that I need this thing longer. Wish on this one i could pull the injectors up to check them, but there are no retainers on this style, need a bench tester.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

had crank sensors do that
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

Crank sensor or even more likely, cam sensor. Going to need scanner hooked up and have it act up at same time, good luck. If the customer was willing to try fuel pump then maybe will try cam (1st) or crank sensor since the issue is intermittent.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

I have seen numerous camshaft sensors on these engines do this. If you have a lab scope with at least dual channel capability that will without fail nail it or eliminate it.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I have the vehicle in here now. When I picked it up there was a slight delay in starting, rpm went up to 250 while it was cranking and fuel pressure was about 35 I think I saw, but then it started right up. Watching fuel pressure. Started at 40, dropped to 17 in 5 minutes. Did that twice but started right back up normally. Thinking maybe injectors, but I don't want to guess. I just need it to act up!

507-345-6425
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, fuel pressure should be a minimum of 45 to run that engine. So, according to what you are posting, it appears that low fuel pressure could be a contributing factor for whatever reason.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Mitchell says 35-45 psi. The fuel rail pressure sensor desired pid is 40 and when it is running actual fuel rail pressure is 40. Have checked with my manual gauge inline also, just to verify correct reading. Have had this thing since 10 and has not acted up except when I first started it real quick.

507-345-6425
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

My mistake. Sorry. I was looking up fuel pressure for a diesel. Yes then the fuel pressure you got should be ok. I then revert back to my initial hunch of a faulty cam sensor. Possibly a crank sensor. I doubt the injectors are at fault. My gut feeling. Unless for some reason the injectors are not commanded to pulse.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Well I think I got it. I finally got the truck for a couple of days, and after their description, black smoke and smelled like it was flooded. I pulled the injectors and had them flow tested. Had one bad injector, replaced that injector and it has been 3 weeks since the repair and it is starting good now. (Knock on wood) Now just have to fix a handicap lift on it for them.

507-345-6425

Return to “Ford Trucks”