2007 Ford E250 - 4.6L Cluster

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

2007 Ford E250 - 4.6L Cluster

Post by ricmorin »

Hello all,

I'm replacing a cluster in the above-mentioned vehicle. The brake warning light was staying on all the time, even without input. You could flex the pc board and make it go off and on. Installed a reman cluster from the dealer. Now the Service RSC message is on and it ringing like a bell. As far as I can tell, this vehicle does not have RSC or stability control. I make that conclusion because I can communicate with the ABS via the serial line, not the can line like RSC equipped vehicles. I've done these clusters before and they are usually plug and play, never have I had to program one. This one was programmed at the dealer with vin and mileage.

So, the burning question is this: Do I have to do some type of programming on this or is this just a defective or improperly programmed ICM?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 2007 Ford E250 - 4.6L Cluster

Post by steven kiser »

I've installed them with no reprogram issues. I remember years ago when Chrysler was tearing through pcm and bcm along with dash clusters on the minin vans i would run across one that hadn't been wiped clean at the reman factory and i had one that the remote starter had to be disconnected.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Update:

The dealer who sold me the cluster initially said that there was no programming needed. Then they said it DID need to be programmed. My Ford NGS does not have that capability. Neighbor shop has a Modis but no-go. We took it to a closer Ford dealer who said it could not be programmed and they said it was the wrong cluster and charged me 100 bucks for that info. Called the original dealer back who said it was the correct cluster. Someone is wrong. Meanwhile, my customer is going crazy (read fleet who need vehicle on the road). Vehcle failed state inspection because the red brake light is on all the time. Fleet customer knew light was on and came in for their inspection on the last day (guess that's my fault too). I may lose this customer over this, through no fault of my own. This is why I loathe having to take anything to the dealer. Last time was over ten years ago and it was a fiasco then.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Man do i feel your pain. I'm in the middle of a little fiasco myself. Seems i always have one or two myself every year. I'm usually the shop that can put a fire out and get these from other shops but when it's my own little devil child it can really get under my skin. I'm thinking it is a program issue and you need to take it to the dealer that agrees with you. A point to consider here is not allowing that dealer to add this to his mailing list. I'm sure you've kept your customer fully informed along the way and if he's a good one will completely understand and trusts you. Sounds like you need to start packing some salt and pepper because you may have to eat this one a bit until the dealer that sold you the cluster ponies up.

Don't start second guessing yourself. Go with your gut. How many times (i lost count of mine) have you said i should've went with my initial gut feeling.

We did a warranty transmission on a 07 saab 97X. It was towed in not moving at all. The transmission was installed two weeks ago in another state. We received the replacement and i went home just as the tech was installing the last few components. The customer was all over me about this issue and no matter how much i explained to her that i was replacing a transmission under warranty and was doing it in a reasonable time she wouldn't stop. Well the long and short of it was when i came in the next morning my note sheet informed me there was an issue with it and not to move it. The tech and my lead tech told me that when they put in the transmission fluid to the correct level it wouldn't move. They called Jasper and were told to do a few tests and they did them. THe tech eventually kept adding fluid until it moved, 5 quarts overfull. After listening to them i said i bet the transmission filter is missing. Of all the Jasper units i've installed i've never seen this but it sure sounded like it. Well after i spoke with the warranty tech i got the ok to drop the pan and there wasn't a filter. I got a filter kit from Car quest and after installing it filled the fluid and test drove. Transmission is shot and i know it's because it was run technically "empty" long enough while we were going through the step by step diagnostics laid out by the Jasper tech. I know it was a necessary step and i'm going to need to replace this transmission again. I'm going to speak to the customer and have Jasper call her as well to explain the situation and strongly suggest they do what's needed to make her happy.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Well, this vehicle is going to the original cluster-selling dealer for confirmation on Thursday. I'll keep you posted.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Hope you don't get charged for a fictitious repair when a defective cluster was replaced. I would put a little pin prick (he said prick) on the cluster face and see if it's still present when you get it back. Another thing i do is i remove any paper work with the customer information on it and leave a piece of paper on the dash with my shop information. If the vehicle was purchased at that dealer the customer name will pop up with the vin information. I had to pull aside a service writer at a local dealer one time and explain to him that when i brought a vehicle to the dealer for a reflash or inspection i was to be called. I explained that the last time i brought a vehicle to him the owner called me and wanted to know why he was getting phone calls from you. I had been specific when it was dropped off just like i had all the past times. I put my shoulder into his chest pushed him back against the wall and whispered into his ear " you can be my friend or my enemy, being my friend is a healthy choice". A tech i've known for years came in a few days later and asked me what i said to the service writer and i asked him why. Apparently he asked around and found out he definitely would be better off being my friend. It's a cut throat business and other people are always looking for ways to build themselves up by putting others down especially if the other is a high quality shop with a great rep.

Return to “Ford Trucks”