2002 Ford F250 - SD 7.3L Electrical

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2002 Ford F250 - SD 7.3L Electrical

Post by 92zman »

Truck came in with like nothing working.

Found then the 4 wheel drive computer and the gem computer had gone bad. Replaced and all seems to work but the door switches work backwards when the doors are open the lights go off then when you close the doors they come on. Have taken the door apart and can not find anything. When i pull the switches out of the latch when i push in the lights go out and let go and lights come on. This truck does have remotes and i see then in the wiring there is diffenence in the wiring. Have not had it programmed at dealer yet but did not know if that would help. Don't know if they work backwards from each other.

Can anyone put some light on this?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3

Post by brianp87 »

I have seen corrosion issues on fuse panel due to a leaking windshield
92zman

Post by 92zman »

but would that make it work backwards.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

does the radio work with the key off?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I didnt read the whole thin but now that I did im sure youll find you need a security module or have it programmed
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Then we ask ourselves did someone jump start something with cables reversed or weld something on the truck with the key on..............
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Post by 92zman »

security and the gem is the same thing. So it has been replaced. And no it has not been reprogramed yet. And yes when u make the lights come on the radio does go off the way then it should. And yes we think someone jumped the truck wrong.
steven kiser

Re: 2002 Ford F250 - SD 7.3L Electrical

Post by steven kiser »

May want to advise the customer to call his insurance company. If it was jumped with the key on and cables reversed every module is probably trashed. I believe this system can be programmed to read the key without the star tester by leaving it in the on position for a certain amount of time. I've seen every module trashed in situations like this and if the GEM isn't reading just one it can mess up the system. Treat this like a lightning strike. If it came in after an electrical storm and showed the patented spider discoloration of the paint that shows after a strike you would treat it a bit differently than you are now. Look for any discoloration at on the male plugs on any module. Remember now, if any module isn't up to snuff it will mess with the gem. You don't know what is fused inside the module and this is outside the traceable diagnostics. Nothing and i mean nothing makes any sense.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Trucks”