2003 Ford Excursion - 6.0L Diesel P006A, P0401

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2003 Ford Excursion - 6.0L Diesel P006A, P0401

Post by nickscarcare »

I need some info here guys. I don't do much diesel work, but had a guy who was refered here, thought he had front end problems, he is complaining of a surge. I got it, has codes P006A, P0401, I did some checking and found lots of people have issues with these engines and codes. I pulled the egr, and koeo I can command it to 45%, but the valve itself don't move till 35%. I am guessing it should be moving before that. I also cleaned the MAF, it does have a k&n air filter assembly on it. I seen things about where the turbo could need cleaning, is that hard to do? Also what else should I look for, for this problem? I appreciate any help on this!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2003 Excursion 6.0 Diesel P006A, P0401

Post by brianp87 »

Need to replace the valve then re-test could also have a plugged intake or a vgt solenoid issue but you need to replace the egr valve first. This will prolly fix it but if not then I found this info. If you need info on cleaning the turbo let me knwo and ill get it to you.

If the EGR valve is ok, but the concern is still present, the turbo and EGR test will need to be performed.

Pull up Manifold Gauge Pressure (MGP) on your scan tool.

Raise the RPM and hold at 1200.

Access the (Variable Geometry Turbo) VGT solenoid and ground the Dark Blue wire at the solenoid

With the VGT driver wire grounded, and the RPM at 1200, the MGP on your scanner should rapidly go over 1 PSI. If it does not, remove the jumper wire, and perform the same step several times. If the pressure comes up more and more with each actuation, it is likely the turbo will need to be cleaned

If the turbo test passes, leave the VGT actuated, then access the EGR valve and backprobe a ground to the White and Pink wire at the EGR valve. With this wire grounded, the turbo boost should immediately drop back to 0 PSI, and you should hear a very noticeable difference in how the engine sounds.

If there is no change in turbo boost, or it drops slowly, suspect a plugged EGR cooler or intake.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I did do the turbo test and the mgp didn't start to raise till about 50% and went to 2psi at 85% command. I will try it like you said with the manual grounding. Should that egr valve be opening sooner than that? This thing does have a big lack of power, or at least I think so.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

I've had the sensor tube coming off of the manifold plugged with crapolla.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Alright Brian, I did the grounding like you said and the mgp had no psi change, then grounded the egr and still nothing. I went back in and through the modis did the turbo test and at 1200 rpm, turbo cammand at 85%, if I either ground the wire going to the turbo or the egr it smooths out. I am guessing then that the passages must be ok??? :?

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Sounds to me like you need an egr and then possibly a turbo cleaning and vgt/ Leave yourself open when quoting. Let the custoemer know the egr is bad and it needs to be replaced then re-tested with the possibility for these things.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Sent you a pm and email
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Are these the trucks that had lots of issues with the egr coolers as well? How do I test that to see if it is bad? Do I guess the passages are good since if I manually ground the egr or turbo while at 1200 rpm that it smooths out?

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Yes ive done alot of egr coolers for coolant leaking into the exhaust it smokes liek crazy. I disconect the exhaust side of cooler and look for coolant leakign into it but I have never had or heard of one causing a driveability issue.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Ok well off to sell a egr valve and let him know the possibility of more needed. He is a new referall and already said if you get this thing going again, my other 2 cars will be in here. I want to start doing more diesels, hopefully it works ok. That is how I got him, I fixed a dodge diesel fuel leak, and he told this guy, said bring it to Nick. So here he is. He changes oil every 6-8k and changes fuel filters in this at least once a year. He said I know the problems with these trucks! Said just fix it, if its not right, it will be back.

507-345-6425
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

Sounds like a good customer to me, I think you are on the right track for fixing this one....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2003 Ford Excursion - 6.0L Diesel P006A, P0401

Post by brianp87 »

You jinxed me We got an 2006 6.0l in now with a P0299 that we were told would not accelerate. It does now. :roll:
nickscarcare

Re: 2003 Ford Excursion - 6.0L Diesel P006A, P0401

Post by nickscarcare »

Well customer took the truck after I cleaned the egr, and cleaned the maf and attatched the k&n air filter to the hose. Truck was running better, then he stopped last night for 2 other of his cars, and said it started surging again, but only seemed like when it was cold. Guess the truck will be back and I have to start researching how to fix this and other diesels. I was trying look into a class at the votec, to see about learning about diesels. I always prefer the just doing and hands on approach, but my knowledge of diesels is limited. I have had about a dozen people ask in the last year if I work on them, I think my answer is going to change. I will let you know when I get this back and see what other help I need. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HELP! This guy goes from the excursion to the 1986 Pont. 6000 that I am working on now, and he is about 6'4". :D

507-345-6425

Return to “Ford Trucks”