Ford 5.4L Spark Plug Removal Time

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Ford 5.4L Spark Plug Removal Time

Post by Tim Martin »

How do I give an estimate for spark plug replacement on this 06 F150 with a 5.4L vin 5 engine? We all know that most of the plugs are going to break off in the head and require much time above the 2.8 hrs given for spark plug replacement. Do I simply refuse to give an estimate? Or can I do say 10 hours or how would you handle this one? This is a good customer and, while I am not looking forward to the job, I will be doing it.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: Ford 5.4L Spark Plug Removal Time

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I always tell them up front that this is a known problem for these and there is a high probibilty that a few if not all will break due to the fact nobody ever pulls them out to lube them and the fuse themselves into place over the years. I then tell them that we can do some thing to help loosen them up such as letting them soak in penitrating oil overnight and work the plug back and forth slowly to get them loosened. I try to reassure them we will do our best to prevent it but it is still likely they will break. If they do then I charge an hour per plug to remove them above the 2.8 to do the iniatail job. Most people dont like hearing this but in the end when I take my time explaining and realize it isn't my fault. they will either choose to go ahead and try or just leave them alone till the have no other choice. Most give me the go ahead. I alos let them know that the longer they can leave it with me the better because the soak time in the penitrating oil helps a lot and this time doesnt cost them a penny.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Tim,

We quote the regular time and soak them overnight. Let the customer know what could happen and re-estimate if it does. Gladly we have not broken any yet. But I've repaired plenty that were already broken. Repairs are 3 hours plus materials per hole. HTH.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I just quoted one of these, and I went the 2.8 hours plus parts, made him aware of the issues with these vehicles, and told him there may be extra time involved if they do break. I also told the guy that he would have to sign the estimate and on there I have it stated that there may be extra time involved due to breaking spark plugs. He was ok with that. Longest one I did took almost 5 hours, only one plug came out whole and it didn't come out easy. I had one of these I did recently and only 2 broke total time was 3.5 hours to do the tune. I was very surprised!! Hope this gives a little more insight, I know every customer is different. In fact I just had a guy that is having a issue with a misfire on one of these as I was typing this. Spooky!!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Pauls Automotive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Oh one other thing I do.......since sometimes some customer can be a bit skeptical I will tell them to look it up online. I tell them to google their vehicle and to include broken spark plugs. Well since everything online MUST be true that seems to satify them as to how common this problem is and they aren't going to get a different answer from someone else.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

ricmorin wrote:Repairs are 3 hours plus materials per hole. HTH.
So, possibly what I need to do is see how many break off and then give an estimate of 3 hours per hole. Would that be a good idea?
brother bubba
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by brother bubba »

We did one about a year ago that one plug simply would not come out even after several careful attempts. We wound up having to pull the head. This was a good customer and we kept him in the loop the entire ordeal, so he understood what was going on. He wasn't happy about the final bill, but he realized it wasn't our fault. The trick is letting the customer know up front what he could be in for ...

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Tim Martin wrote:
ricmorin wrote:Repairs are 3 hours plus materials per hole. HTH.
So, possibly what I need to do is see how many break off and then give an estimate of 3 hours per hole. Would that be a good idea?
It works for us. The whole idea is take your time. You can get these out usually without breaking. But sometimes stuff happens. I'd rather estimate high and come in under than present a bill that is more than I quoted.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, the customer wants to pick up this F150 by lunch time so I suppose I need to decline any attempts to replace spark plugs till a later time when he can let it sit for awhile, or at least a day or 2. He is not gonna appreciate his F150 as much as he did. But brother bubba brings up an excellent point of keeping the customer informed during the process.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

Tim Martin wrote:Well, the customer wants to pick up this F150 by lunch time so I suppose I need to decline any attempts to replace spark plugs till a later time when he can let it sit for awhile, or at least a day or 2. He is not gonna appreciate his F150 as much as he did. But brother bubba brings up an excellent point of keeping the customer informed during the process.
Also about it NOT being our fault, I didn't build it, buy it, or break it! Do not yell at me cause Ford screwed up..........
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I crack them, load the port with pb blaster and wait a while. Then i hit them with an 3/8ths impact air wrench. Trick here is once they're moving don't stop. Never had one brake this way.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

steven kiser wrote:I crack them, load the port with pb blaster and wait a while. Then i hit them with an 3/8ths impact air wrench. Trick here is once they're moving don't stop. Never had one brake this way.
After reading one of your older posts on the subject, I started doing that as well, the IR Hammerhead works wonders for this.......
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

liljoe wrote:
steven kiser wrote:I crack them, load the port with pb blaster and wait a while. Then i hit them with an 3/8ths impact air wrench. Trick here is once they're moving don't stop. Never had one brake this way.
After reading one of your older posts on the subject, I started doing that as well, the IR Hammerhead works wonders for this.......
Interesting. The tsb from Ford says specifically not to use air tools for spark plug removal. And here you guys do it that way. Wow.
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Tim Martin wrote:
liljoe wrote:
Interesting. The tsb from Ford says specifically not to use air tools for spark plug removal. And here you guys do it that way. Wow.
If you look in the tip system from Mitchell yo will find that several techs have posted tips relating to these plugs, many of them use the impact to yank them out. One tech is from a Frod dealer and he said that is how he gets them out as well. Before the discussion here befroe where Steve mentioned using an impact I had not heard of anyone trying this. I used to do the de-carbon procedure then crack plugs and soak them with PB and sea foam mixture, let set and when removing plugs, work them back and forth to keep the carbon from balling up and causing the plug to bind then break. Steve mentoned the impact thing and we discussed it back and forth and decided that the trick is the hammering from the impact knocks the carbon loose in small enough pieces for it to not bind the plug in the hole, the same for rocking the plug back and forth. Just do not use steady turning when removing them. BTW, Have also had several techs mention the Champion plugs causing a misfire and having to replace them with Motorcraft to get it running right.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Talked with a Ford tech a while ago and the thought at the dealer was Ford didn't want an issue with the heads so the engineers decided the how to proceedure opting to have the plug break in the head. Apparently as Bill Clinton sees it if the plug breaks then it's not a head :lol: issue therefore warranty can be denied. If they admitted it was a head issue imagine how much aluminum scrap would be in detroit.....
Last edited by steven kiser on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Bill Clinton?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Tim Martin wrote:Bill Clinton?
Come on man. This one is a no brainer. Clinton vs Monica and Bills definition of ------------ come on now....... it's not considered a sexual relation, a common slang term used in describing a Lewinsky.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Senior moment on my part steve. Now I get the connection.
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
perfection-automotive.net
sbcauto
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by sbcauto »

We Quote Book Time & Say 1/2-1 Hour For Each Plug That Breaks. We Also Mention That If Plug Breaks Head Removal is always A Possability. Out Of A Few Hundred Time We Changed These Plugs I Have Had Two Where The Heads Had To Be Pulled. This Causes A 5000.00 Bill. We Always Let Customer Know this Can Happen

Return to “Ford Trucks”