2001 Ford F150 - HVAC B1249 Blend Door FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
CalRewireMatt

2001 Ford F150 - HVAC B1249 Blend Door FIXED

Post by CalRewireMatt »

Hey there. Im stuck and trying to figure out what to do.

First off, the truck is an 01 but Mitchell doesnt have Auto HVAC schematics for the F150 but does for the Expedition so thats what Ive been using and since all the wiring is where it should be Im assuming everything is ok as far as the info is concerned.

Ok, the truck was sent over from another shop with a complaint that the AC isnt working. I found that the compressor was unplugged and rechecked. Compressor engauges and runs but no cool air. Check the controller for codes and get 1249. So I start checking the blend door. Yanked it out and started doing the flow chart.

I am able to get the actuator to turn counterclockwise for hot but switching the power leads wont go cool. The other shop changed the actuator prior to sending it over and Ive tried a used one and new one of my own just to verify. All of them do the same thing.

I have gone so far as bench testing the actuators with a spare pig tail just to rule out any other wiring issues and nothing works.

I think Im missing something but according to the flowchart and schematics, everything is ok.

So, is there anything you guys have found that could cause this to happen? IF so what needs to be done and/or checked?
Last edited by CalRewireMatt on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 Ford F150 - HVAC B1249 Blend Door

Post by steven kiser »

Is it an automatic temp control or a manual? If it's automatic look into the cab temp sensor. Not exactly sure where it's located but look for a little square vent in the dash. That's usually the intake. If it's unplugged it may cause a default setting. The heater module may be bad. When your bench testing the motor it's a multiple lead and one side works off of resistance.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
CalRewireMatt

Post by CalRewireMatt »

Its auto temp.

What gets me is that the tests want you to go from pin 2 - pin 13 and pin 3- pin 26 and look for rotation of the actuator arm, then swap the pins 2 and 3 looking for reverse rotation. If it doesnt move in one of the directions look for shorts or opens and if good then go try another actuator.

I will check the in car temp sesor to be sure.
CalRewireMatt

Post by CalRewireMatt »

In car temp sensor is in place.

Any ideas?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Well, I'm wondering why this vehicle does not show an EATC system in any of the repair manuals. I've also found that for an Expedition, the blend door actuators are different between EATC and manual HVAC. I don't think I'd trust testing just yet until I know I got the correct info. Is there something unique about this vehicle? You have a VIN? Engine size? Exact date of birth?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I'm showing EATC for a 2002 F150. Is it late enough to possibly have some 2002 stuff installed?
603-622-6434 x203

ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You say when testing at the module it will go one way but not the other? You also say you yanked it out. What> The actuator itself? If so, testing at the actuator involves pin 7 and 8. Power and ground, then swap.
603-622-6434 x203

CalRewireMatt

Post by CalRewireMatt »

ricmorin wrote: the blend door actuators are different between EATC and manual HVAC.
Eureka!!!

Looking at the schematic for the manual HVAC it may be possible that the pins 7 and 8 will make the actuator move one way and need the resistance from a potentiometer to go backwards.

Since this is a 10/01 truck but still an '01 we have been ordering them as such. I wasnt aware of the a difference in HVAC actuators and since I wasnt given a choice I took what they gave me. If these are like other Ford items, Im sure that either part will plug in but if you get the wrong one it something will get damaged.

Im going to see about getting an actuator from Ford by VIN application (got the new one from NAPA) and test it.

I think thats the issue and if so Thank You very much.

BTW I bet the original actuator is ok since the other shop was pretty surprised that the compressor was unplugged and they changed the actuator for the wrong one starting this whole cluster fk.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Eureka!!! Ya well you don't smell so good either. Three Stooges circa 1963 Curley vs. Moe.

I've had great success by crossing O.E.M. part number on the interchange option from my vendors. This has eliminated more than a few cluster f***s. The issue of it being able to move one way easily may be solved because it's possibly a default setting.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

CalRewireMatt wrote:
ricmorin wrote: the blend door actuators are different between EATC and manual HVAC.
Eureka!!!

Looking at the schematic for the manual HVAC it may be possible that the pins 7 and 8 will make the actuator move one way and need the resistance from a potentiometer to go backwards.

Since this is a 10/01 truck but still an '01 we have been ordering them as such. I wasnt aware of the a difference in HVAC actuators and since I wasnt given a choice I took what they gave me. If these are like other Ford items, Im sure that either part will plug in but if you get the wrong one it something will get damaged.

Im going to see about getting an actuator from Ford by VIN application (got the new one from NAPA) and test it.

I think thats the issue and if so Thank You very much.

BTW I bet the original actuator is ok since the other shop was pretty surprised that the compressor was unplugged and they changed the actuator for the wrong one starting this whole cluster fk.
Now we're on to something! If you can, report back with what you find.
603-622-6434 x203

CalRewireMatt

Post by CalRewireMatt »

No Bueno, just tried a New Ford dealership supplied part. No worky.

Strange thing though, they say that although at one time there were two different part numbers they both supercede to a single part number, the one I just got and also the one that showed up in the car.

I am at a serious loss now, I thought this was ready to stick a fork in and back to square one.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Can't see the forest because of the trees. I would look at the wiring diagram and with a volt ohm meter check the input and output on the controller. If i remember correctly this vintage had huge issues with the GEM. This particular module bolts onto the back of the fuse box. You can remove it without dropping the box but it's almost impossible to get the top two screws in without dropping it and i can't can't count how many i've seen with the top of the module pulling away from the fuse box. If you reach up and it' s out pushing it back in may or may not resolve the issue. As a rule if it was warped i always replaced it. Hope this helps.
CalRewireMatt

Post by CalRewireMatt »

I forgot to update this as it has been repaired for a while. The issue ended up being that the customer had installed a HVAC controller for a one year newer Super Duty and although the controller looks and installes the same, the blend door actuator is different. Installed a blend door actuator that matched the head unit and voila, issue solved. I wrote a note on both the HVAC headunit and the actuator so that any person in the future wont deal with the issue again.
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Re: 2001 Ford F150 - HVAC B1249 Blend Door **FIXED

Post by jbadenoch »

Wow, that was a real diagnostic cluster f###. Glad you figured it out.

Return to “Ford Trucks”