2007 Ford F350 - 6.0L Code P0266 FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
NPASC_mike
100 Club: Active Contributor

2007 Ford F350 - 6.0L Code P0266 FIXED

Post by NPASC_mike »

Ok, My diesel guy is off Island and here I am. Alone in the shop staring over the fenders at this 6.0.
I know theres a ton of threads on here about the 6.0 I have read back through some of them but none seem to cover this issue.

Cold startup is normal. Small puff of black smoke . Engine is noisy... like Cummins noisy. At first I thought HP oil pressure was low, but it appears fine in the datastream. Pulled a code P0266 for Cyl 2 contribution. If I let it warm up it develops a miss. If I kill each cylinder I get a noticeable difference when its running smooth on all cylinders. The miss is very intermittent and I cannot seem to duplicate the exact conditions. The skip comes and goes as it pleases it seems. When it does skip, it it always missing on Cylinders 2 and 4.

My question... Has anyone seen an injector fail intermittently, or should I be chasing a wiring issue. Customer recently changed oil and I confirmed he did in fact use the correct oil. I replaced the fuel and oil filters with OEM ( he had aftermarket filters on there that we have had tons of issues with) I did notice some small metal flakes on the oil filter ( yes it has me worried too). Gonna tear into this later today/ tomorrow, just wanted a little input as to what someone else might have seen with these conditions.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by NPASC_mike on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is always enough time to do it right the first time.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 07 F350 6.0 P0266

Post by brianp87 »

check compression on cylinder that shows problem, do the ballon test on at least that cylinder and look for fuel in the oil. customer just changed oil so it may be hard to tell but it could be leaking fuel into oil. They are a bear to diagnose but thats were to start.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I forgot check the ficm voltage and fuel pressure
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

Both are OK. Was one of the first things I checked. 52-54 PSI, KOER. 55 KOEO. Under load pressure remains constant. Was last night when I scanned it but FICM voltage was about 42 or 47... dont remember exactly but it was 40 something. I instantly think of injector issue, but as much as they cost, I kinda want to be able to prove it before I sell it. I plan on changing the entire bank if one is at fault. also pulling the intake, changing out the screens and replacing the IPR.

I read something somewhere about a injector harness issue?? Cant seem to find anything about it now.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2007 Ford F350 - 6.0L Code P0266

Post by brianp87 »

Its a chaffing issue Ive never seen it. If the ficm is ok? (double check voltage) pull the glow plugs and do a balloon test. I just had one that wouldnt set code but was missing on a cylinder after beating headon desk it was an injector.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

The only harness problems I have had on these is from sensor leaking oil and soaking the harness. I have seen these with inter injector problems, have also seen two where the little bolt that goes through the top of the injector at the electrical part comming loose and causing a problem. One of them I just tightend the screw and the other I went ahead and did a bank of injectors.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

On an unrelated note, I remember you having real slow internet before. You might want to check on a company called "exede" I just got it at the house and it works nice, around 12mb speeds, the only draw back is larger then I am used to latency ( comes in around 800ms). Might be worht checking out if you have no better options.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

We are stuck with the internet here. The local indian counsel wont allow the fiber optic line to be tied ( that is 5 miles offshore)in unless someone pays an extremely unrealistic amount of money... we are all stuck with the same crappy internet..lol I will check it out at the house in NY though :) Sitting here reading my 6.0 coffee table book... ( thanks again)

Hate to sound like a dummy, but if the injector is not acting up right now... is the balloon test going to tell me anything? or am I going to have to wait till its skipping again.
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

That internet is satilaite based, no wires to bother the indians with.......
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

liljoe wrote:That internet is satilaite based, no wires to bother the indians with.......

Woo Hoo! Seeing how I just found out the local company is going to start charging us by data usage, I will be looking into this later today!
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Often this code leads to a faulty injector. It seems that one of the 2 coils on the top of the injector tends to get sluggish or intermittantly fail. Also, the injector pintle may get tight in its bore with varnish, dirt, or water. We usually only replace the injector that is faulty although if it is a high mileage engine, we may do them all, also depending on the customer.

There may also be a wiring issue although on the later 6.0L engines wiring doesn't seem to be as common of an issue as with the earlier ones. To isolate wiring from an injector failure, we use a lab scope for diagnosis.

hth
NPASC_mike

Re: 2007 Ford F350 - 6.0L Code P0266 FIXED

Post by NPASC_mike »

Ended up selling him injectors for the left bank, also went in and changed the screens and IPR as preventative maint. Silly me must have nicked a Dring during reassembly, ended up with a hard start issue, but took care of it and the customer is :D :D :D Thanks for the input guys.

Return to “Ford Trucks”