2006 Ford F550 - 6.0L Oil In Coolant FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
erlesauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2006 Ford F550 - 6.0L Oil In Coolant FIXED

Post by erlesauto »

We have an 06 f550 6.0 with lots of oil in the coolant. 3000 miles ago an egr delete and programmer were installed. How can you tell if its the oil cooler or head gaskets. The oil is so thick it will not circulate if engine is running. Thanks
Last edited by erlesauto on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2006 F-550 Oil in coolant

Post by steven kiser »

Could be a head gasket issue. If you didn't replace the cooler i wouldn't assume it was. I've seen clean and reinstall because they looked ok. I would tell the customer it may be a cooler or i might even tell them to bring it back to whom ever did it if it wasn't me. If it's been running a while, pull EGR valve off and if it seems to be steaming i would be more inclined to look at cooler.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2006 F-550 Oil in coolant

Post by Tim Martin »

Almost impossible to be the head gasket. These engines are notorious oil cooler leakers.

Replace the oil cooler and flush the cooling system out umpteen times.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2006 Ford F550 - 6.0L Oil In Coolant

Post by brianp87 »

Ive done a few with head bolt stretch issues that caused head gaskets. Pretty common really especially on one with a programmer. There are better bolts available.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:Ive done a few with head bolt stretch issues that caused head gaskets. Pretty common really especially on one with a programmer. There are better bolts available.
Well, I agree with the idea of better bolts available. In fact we commonly will install ARP head studs if we do a head gasket replacement, especially if there is any mods on the engine or the electronic programming.

If oil in the coolant can be traced to the head gasket/stretched bolts, can that be verified it was that and not something else?

Simply asking as we have not seen that as of yet.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I dont think it could be verified either way honestly. I think both the oil cooler and heads are common issues. It ususally tough to tell the diff with an egr cooler leak or head gasket leak.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, i got to thinking about this thing. And in doing some research on it and looking at a head gasket for the 6.0L, I am asking myself the question: "Where is there a channel where pressurized oil is fed up through the block, head gasket and into the heads?" Am I missing something? In other words, if there is no oil passage through the head gasket, how could a head gasket be responsible for oil getting into the coolant?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I seem to remember the oil feed tubes running through. Ive never seen oil in the coolant on a 6.0 yet. But I do remember the tubes running through on the few weve had apart. I have seen lots of coolant in the exhaust though.
erlesauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: 2006 Ford F550 - 6.0L Oil In Coolant Fixed!!!

Post by erlesauto »

Had Oil cooler pressure tested and bingo it was ruptured. What a job to clean oil out of coolant passages though
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Nice work
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Agree, nice work. I will fill the cooling system with water, add Dawn dish washing liquid and let it run. I do it about 3 or 4 times and it's clean.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

steven kiser wrote:Agree, nice work. I will fill the cooling system with water, add Dawn dish washing liquid and let it run. I do it about 3 or 4 times and it's clean.
I used to use dawn as well, but read on here by someone that cascade works as well without the suds and found that to be correct. So now I use cascade....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.

Return to “Ford Trucks”