2003 Ford Explorer - 4.0L Overheated

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
RODNEYY

2003 Ford Explorer - 4.0L Overheated

Post by RODNEYY »

We put put new head gaskets on a 03 Explorer with a 4.0 flex fuel. Truck was severely overheated, heads were warped 18,000. Installed all new timing components. When we started truck up it ran great for about 3 minutes and then we heard a rattling noise it started to run rough and now will not start. We have fuel and spark.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 03 ford explorer

Post by Tim Martin »

First thing I am wondering is: What is compression? That is where I'd start if that were in my shop.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2003 Ford Explorer - 4.0L Overheated

Post by steven kiser »

If i were a betting man i would bet you threw the chain. As a rule, in my shop, i would have R&R'd it. An overheat that bad would have possibly tempered the block and trashed the rings. I've seen bolt holes that even though the bolt threads in it will not seat and grip. If the head wasn't planed properly with the cam there is a possibility it snapped or spun. May i suggest, and i've had to do it, install a used engine and get this behind you. Tough one to eat but if it were me i would understand this will hang over my head like the Sword Of Damiclies. I would end up spending way more time on it than it was worth. One time i purchased a vehicle after it imploded while i worked on it just to make it go away.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I am also thinking it is a chain issue, although a compression check would steer you in the proper direction.

Yea, these engines are touchy ones, not my favorite one to be working on.
RODNEYY

Post by RODNEYY »

Put a good used motor in it. This thing had overheated so many times it melted the oil pump screen. Thanks for all the input.

Return to “Ford Trucks”