2012 F150 Platinum/Burning Gas/ Low MGP

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Hoffman

2012 F150 Platinum/Burning Gas/ Low MGP

Post by Hoffman »

I have a 2012 F150 Platinum w/ 3.5 turbo charge engine and only 20,000 miles on it that started getting 23 mpg and now is only getting 13.5 - 14.7 mpg. My customer has taken it back to the dealer where is has gotten the vehicle from and was told nothing was wrong with it and was sent to a major Ford dealer in northern Virginia and was told the same thing. From there they sent him to Wilmington, NC. where the dealership cranked up the horsepower and the vehicle is NOT any better.

The exhaust and tailpipe is sooty to the point that rear quarter panel and bumper are covered(this is a white truck). We pulled eight spark plugs and they showed the same characteristics of the exhaust "sooty".

Smoked tested the intake and turbo charge systems and found no leaks. No codes came up on computer test. The mileage intermittently goes to 18 mpg and fuel mileage calculation manually matches the dash. The vehicle also has an unsettled idle when cold.

Any ideas????????
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2012 F150 Platinum/Burning Gas/ Low MGP

Post by steven kiser »

He didn't put ethel in it y any chance did he? look at the fuel trims. See if injectors are holding pressure.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I would run this and monitor the fuel trims. Maybe take a recording of the operating data and scrutinize carefully. I was just at a class for these. The 3.5 is direct injected twin turbo. Lots of problems with these so far. Might end up as a re-engineer at Ford. IOW it was built broken.

BTW, the instructor said 19 is all these engines are getting. I'll go find my material and see if I can offer anything else.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Hoffman

Post by Hoffman »

The fuel trims that I got after diving ten miles at 55 mph on cruise were--- Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 - 6.2
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 - 1.6
Back to 0 at idle.

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 - 2.3
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 -( -2.3) Opposite of 1

Return to “Ford Trucks”