1976 Ford Bronco - Engine ID

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

1976 Ford Bronco - Engine ID

Post by nickscarcare »

I have a customer that brought in a '76 Ford Bronco. He is not sure if it is the origonal engine or not. I am wondering if any Ford guru's out there can tell me where the block numbers are so I can try to find out if it is a 302, and what year. Thanks
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1976 Ford Bronco - Engine ID

Post by steven kiser »

I've had good results asking Jasper Engines questions like this. The issue is I don't really know if you can find an original build sheet with the #'s. You can rather easily find if the engine in the vehicle fits the time lines but the actual factory install isn't impossible but since it's not an issue of making it worth more as a collector or financial item iI don't see the need for all that time. I'm trying to think where there may be a copy of the build sheet. Sometimes on older vehicles they're tucked into the seat springs.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

According to my technical information:

1976 Ford Bronco engine application = 8-302 2BC (134-138 HP depending on calibration Cal/Fed) was the only factory option

There should be a tag directly attached to the engine unless it is lost [example EA301LO with smaller font for Engine Plant, Build Date, Calibration, etc]
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I am not worried about if it is origonal or not, I need to identify the block, if it is a 302, 351, Winsor, Cleveland, some parts do make a difference. Where are these numbers located? Chevy has them stamped on the engine. Where are these Ford numbers located?
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Not stamped like GM blocks.

"Beginning with January 1964, Ford engines can also be identified by a tag attached directly to the engine. From this tag, only the year and cubic in. displacement can be determined."
[breakdown of 1974-1976 engine label is unavailable]

Yes, 302 & 351W share parts at times.

8-302 = Distributor in front, 6 bolt valve covers, water pump mounted on front cover
8-351W = 6 bolt valve covers, thermostat mounted in intake man
8-351C / 351M = 8 bolt valve covers, thermostat mounted in block
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Adding to what Tim pointed out is the Windsor 351 and the 302 look alike but the quick way i would tell is the firing order. All V 8's, in this era, except 351 & 400 is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The 351, 400 is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Going along with your thoughts i once had a Granada :shock: come in to the shop i was working at from a body shop engine fire repair. It wanted to start but wouldn't. My boss was going nuts. Eventually he saw the firing order by intake stamp was incorrect and swapped it around, fired right up. It had a 351 in it not a 302.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Trucks”