2008 Ford PU - Gasoline Into 6.4L Powerstroke

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2008 Ford PU - Gasoline Into 6.4L Powerstroke

Post by Tim Martin »

The customers wife figured she was doing her hubby a favor an she'd put some fuel in the truck (08 Ford F250 with 6.4L diesel) for him. Unknown, she put gas in instead an ran it for a few miles till she realized what she had done. What will we have to do to get the gas out of the system? Obviously it is through the entire system by now. I am thinking this thing may have some serious issues.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Gasoline In 08 6.4L Powerstroke

Post by ricmorin »

OH OH.

Pull tank and completely clean out. Blow out all lines. Replace HPFP. Replace filters. Hope the engine isn't damaged. :shock:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 2008 Ford PU - Gasoline Into 6.4L Powerstroke

Post by steven kiser »

Pulling tank is an option. We have two major accounts that on occasion put gasoline into the tank instead of dsl. It doesn't matter how far they've been run if you're wondering how much gas has been burned through the system. The fuel system is a circulatory type so it's immediate. We drain the fuel from the system by disconnecting the return line under the vehicle, by pass the relay so the pump will constantly run with key in the run position. After it empties we put 10 gallons of dsl into tank and run it empty. After adding another 10 gallons we change out filters, dump the oil because of blow by, cycle the key a few times to flush the air out and fire it up. The only time we had to do anything more was when one was on dead empty, filled with gas and driven until it wouldn't move. The pistons looked like a blow torch was taken to them. If this was a Dodge with a cummins in it the injector pump would be trash but for some reason the Power Joke will stand up well to this but a good gust of wind will trash the engine. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I've heard that the high pressure pump on the 6.4 is much less tolerant of anything running through it other than diesel. Fortunately I haven't experienced one first-hand. Not sure I'd want to.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Agreed, like all dsl's the fuel acts as a lubricant to some extent but the power jokes will take it pretty good unless it's been driven to long. As a rule when I hear 10 minutes I think 1/2 hour, started to run rough means loss of power and loud noises, etc. Flushing it out is the starting point. There is really nothing that can be done to help aiding success. It is what it is, flush it out fire it up, hope for the best.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, here is an update on the truck.

We drained the tank and entire fuel system. Changed the fuel filters. Put 10 gallon diesel fuel in tank plus 2 quart of Mercon III. Bled the system an started it up. Went for drive and so far it seems to be ok. Didn't drive it very far but enough to see if any issues are presently noticeable. Gonna let the customer have it with the warning that there could be issues that may develop because of this. Perhaps this one got lucky.

Return to “Ford Trucks”