2008 Dodge Ram 1500 - Mystery Noise Near Transmission?

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
lakevilletire

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 - Mystery Noise Near Transmission?

Post by lakevilletire »

We have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with a mystery noise near the transmission.

Happens in reverse and drive and goes away in park and neutral. Scraping type noise, worse when cold. Trans fluid is clean with no shavings.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 - Mystery Noise Near Transmission?

Post by steven kiser »

More than likely a cracked flywheel. The Dodge flywheel usually cracks between the bolt holes where it attaches to the crank. Before you quote the job keep in mind that there may be front pump issues in the transmission from the converter not keeping centered. I always mention that even if there is no sign of it when we pull the converter and there is no visible damage. Another thing I've done is remove the bolts at the block, install long bolts to slide transmission back, drop driveshaft's, carefully disconnect linkage and cut the lines if they look questionable at the transmission, then slide the transmission back enough to drop flywheel. I always replace the flywheel bolts, check trans mount, linkage, and universal joints. Many times here in the North East where a lot of salt is used on the roads the bolts holding the driveshaft's in place are all rotted and the head is usually just a little nipple. I order two sets of anchor caps and bolts, use a whizzer cutter, cut the retainer off leaving the bolt intact, pound the joint forward and remove the shaft. Then I just crab the remaining retainer with vice grips and they have always just spun off without any problems. Sometimes I have to heat the side of the yoke a bit before the bolt loosens but that's it. Another quick tip is if you decide to replace the transmission lines the lower one probably attaches the a steel line next to the radiator with the face where you insert the removal tool is almost impossible to work with. I heat the steel lock in bulb with a torch and melt the guts. It will pull tight off and any melted plastic just peels off. Instead of fighting with this connector until my hands look like they were in a sword fight a little heat saves the day. Just a little heat, don't adjust the torch so it looks like a Saturn Rocket lift booster, you just need to melt the plastic. Good luck and remember to remove crank sensor. If it's left bolted there is a 75% chance you'll just bump it when installing the transmission and you'll get a whole slew of issues with that. I'm glad I just gave a simple and condensed answer on this posting. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”