1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 - Heater Core

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 - Heater Core

Post by nickscarcare »

Does anyone here have any idea how to get the heater core out of this van? It does have air conditioning.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 - Heater Core

Post by brianp87 »

Sorry
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 - Heater Core

Post by steven kiser »

It has been a long, long, time but dash needs to be removed. I barely remember being able to wiggle a few boxes out but wouldn't dare now. I would take both front seats out to give you room. This takes about 20 minutes and is a great comfort and time saver. Drop steering wheel from front brace, doesn't have to be fully removed but may need support from falling all the way down. I believe there are bolts that bolt into the side post, possibly two on each side. There are screws inside the defrost vents that need to be removed. The trim that runs from the dash to headliner should be removed and look for support screws that are above engine cover. Unplug harness on column and where main attaches to firewall. I believe there is another through harness on passenger side that needs to be unplugged. The main vacuum feed needs to be disconnected and cables that go to box, if they are used, be careful of the clips that hold cables onto box. If they break or flip off into cant find them land use something to secure cable because it will pop off. It's pretty clear how box comes off and core is removed. The new cores were always a bit loose even with the new padding so if I were doing it today I would squirt a few small bobs of that foam insulation. It really grows so I just use a little. I lube where the door pivot pins go into box and was it thoroughly with a mild dish washer soap to remove any odor from box. Another thing I want to warn you of is the dash will or will probably crack if you aren't extremely careful. I usually warned customers and if there were existing cracks showed the customer. Good Luck.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”