1997 Dodge 1500 8-5.2L - Communication Loss

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
DreamMachine

1997 Dodge 1500 8-5.2L - Communication Loss

Post by DreamMachine »

A recent arrival at the shop is a 1997 Dodge 1500, 2 X 4, 5.2 L Gas 5 spd standard. Cranks, but no start. fuel pressure 50 psi. Customer changed plugs and wires. Claims it ran fine for several weeks then dropped dead one day.
I checked wires and fuel pressure so far. Connected scanner to see cam/crank pulse and while KOEO scanner accesses data fine, when key moved to start position, communication is lost when key return to "on" position communication returns. Checked grounds at battery and repaired all three from battery to block, fender and frame. Checked ground from block to frame (drivers side) - looks fine but majority is coated with plastic.
Cap & rotor are in need of replacement. Coil is firing during first revolution, but nothing after that. I speculate that it has to do with communication loss but until I can identify the problem there I can't prove it.
Going to try remote start button to see if there is a connection / issue with ignition switch.

If anyone has experienced something like this in the past, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks
DreamMachine

Re: 1997 Dodge 1500 8-5.2L - Communication Loss

Post by DreamMachine »

Connected remote start button to system and connected scanner to dlc, accessed data of truck and while viewing data engaged the starter. No loss of communications was noted. Verified that cam and crank signal were present, in addition it was noted that the cam/crank sync was "ok".
I t did attempt to start so it looks like cap/rotor are bad as well.
Checking connections to ignition switch to PCM for loss of reference voltage. Also, checking voltage drop to starter.

Still no codes present, active or history...
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 1997 Dodge 1500 8-5.2L - Communication Loss

Post by Tim Martin »

I have run into several ignition switches (Chrysler) through the years that did this. I think I am safe in saying that in every case, replacing the ignition switch solved the problem. Back some years ago, Chrysler had a recall on ignition switches but Im forgetting what years and or models it involved. And, if you are replacing the switch, closely check the wiring because they had some issues with that also. There should be rock solid 12v to the ALDL and the PCM all the time, running and cranking the engine.

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”