1996 Jeep Charokee Sport - 4.0L VIN S: Starting Issues FIXED

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
premierautohandling

1996 Jeep Charokee Sport - 4.0L VIN S: Starting Issues FIXED

Post by premierautohandling »

No trouble codes are set. Customer has had the starter, alternator, fuel pump relay, battery, starter relay replaced. Yet it still has starting issues. Jeep will start up right away after sitting for a couple of hours. Even after you shift into gear (reverse, nuetral, drive) it will keep running. No hesitation while running; plenty of power; no misfires; operates as normal. But, once you return shifter to park and turn off Jeep, it will not start back up. When the key is turned to Start, no reponse from anything (all electronics turn off, no clicking, no cranking, nothing).

Also, even when Jeep has started multiple times in a row (shifter left in Park the entire time) no problems. Turn Jeep off, return key to on (KOEO), place shifter to R, return shifter to P, then try to crank, nothing happens.
David Abbott, Owner
Premier Auto Handling, LLC
Colorado Springs, CO 80922
david@premierautohandling.com
http://www.premierautohandling.com
JBUTITTA
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Re: 1996 Jeep Charokee Sport - 4.0L VIN S: Starting Issues

Post by JBUTITTA »

Have you tried to start this in nuetral (may also have to jiggle shifter)? Have had a few of these in the past that you had to actually force the gear shifter forward so it would reconize park. Jerry
premierautohandling

Have tried to start it in Nuetral (w/ jiggling), nothing. If it is the PN Switch, should I add some light spray to the slide rod by the shifter and trani with the hopes it would give that extra movement for the switch to recognize position?
David Abbott, Owner
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

neutral safety switch? there is an issue with a lazy return on the switch. has this been since the temp dropped?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I'm kinda thinkin that is there current to the rest of the electrical accessories when you try to start it? Headlights, horn, etc. Do those Jeeps have that quick disconnect close to the battery that Chrysler had and it was notorious for intermittant problems? I admit to the reality of a MLP switch on the trans as a possibility but there may be another issue.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i thought the same way tim but i was working on the lines of "turned to start" when the key is in the start position there will be no accessories with the exception of lights. it seems that the jeep better start ducking because of all that's been thrown at it. if it were me i would make sure it's when the key is in the start position not the run. if in the run i totally agree with the issue at the power distribution box. i've seen many, many issues with the secondary cable from + to the distribution box causing issues. i don't believe there is an inhibit relay in these so if it's only in the start position i would either jump the connectors at the neutral plug on the transmission or run a power lead to the starter relay and jump it when it won't crank.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
goodnyou

Post by goodnyou »

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE P/N SWITCH STATE MAYBE IT INTERM. ACTING UP
premierautohandling

A closer look at the P/N Switch, there is an ajusting bolt that permits a slight clockwise/counterclockwise movement of the switch. After moving the switch clockwise, the Jeep started consistantly (only in Park and not in Nuetral). The Jeep now starts 7 out of 10 times, versus 0 out of 10. I suspect the internals of the switch are worn. The customer gave the go ahead to install a new swicth. On account the new swicth retails close to $400, we will look closer at opening the old switch to get a closer look at what is going on and maybe refurbish what the problem is.

Any comments or warnings on that direction, please share.
David Abbott, Owner
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

It could be interesting what you find when you take the switch apart. I often do the same to old parts. It's a learning experience.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

On account the new swicth retails close to $400 :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

when i look up the neutral switch i get a dealer list of $17.00 and carquest list is $21.79. are we talking about the same thing? i'm talking about the switch that screws into the l/f corner of the transmission near where the cooling line bolts onto it.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

Steve, these have a rotary switch on the shift input lever on the side of the trans, yes they are close to $400.00, and yes they go bad a bunch. Have seen a bunch that wouldn't start in park and the cust win't fix due to the price of the switch.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

You stated no response from anything, does that include lights on the dash?
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

liljoe wrote:Steve, these have a rotary switch on the shift input lever on the side of the trans, yes they are close to $400.00, and yes they go bad a bunch. Have seen a bunch that wouldn't start in park and the cust win't fix due to the price of the switch.

i stand corrected, i guess. i was looking at the 44re transmission. the switch on the transmission in question is the position sensor. it's all wheel drive. passenger/curb side of the transmission. i wonder why it corrodes. :shock:
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Best I can remember, the converter is on that side and just a few inches from the switch.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
premierautohandling

To all responders, I was able to open the switch and noticed a great deal of grime, causing the switch inside from returning to the Park position. It was getting stuck in the Reverse position, although the shifter was in Park. I cleaned out the grime and added a small amount of di-electric grease. The customer (a pizza delivery guy) has had no problems for two days.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions.

David
David Abbott, Owner
steven kiser

Re: 1996 Jeep Charokee Sport - 4.0L VIN S: Starting Issues FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for posting the fix. i only hope that you're in a warm climate. i use sil glide lubricant on applications like this. it being silicone base, the temperature has less of an impact on it. your customer should be thankful he has a tech that would take apart and repair instead of replace the switch. as unfortunate as it sounds i would have replaced it. if it's designed not to be serviceable we don't service it. we replace it. my customers would be more disappointed or disgruntled they had to come back as opposed to paying for the new switch. i guess it's all where your located and your clients. but anyway, great fix and thanks again for posting it.

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”