1999 Dodge R1500 - 4x4 5.9L No Comm?

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
AtoZ Trans & Auto

1999 Dodge R1500 - 4x4 5.9L No Comm?

Post by AtoZ Trans & Auto »

Have a 1999 Dodge r1500 we sent it out to have a cat converter welded on tech did have the battery disconnected before welding now truck won't start no fuel no spark odometer now reads "buss error"

Any thoughts? All fuses check good fuel gauge reads E with 3/4 tank of fuel.
AtoZ Trans & Auto
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 99 Dodge 4x4 5.9l

Post by ricmorin »

The No Bus warning means that communication between the modules is down. One of them could have been damaged or temporarily 'blinded' by the welding process if you didn't isolate them. You'll need a scanner that can communicate with all the modules to determine which one is offline. I won't venture a guess as to which one. One quick way of checking the PCM is to ensure 5 volt reference to things like TPs, etc. Powers and grounds to all modules, etc.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 1999 Dodge R1500 - 4x4 5.9L No Comm?

Post by steven kiser »

check to see if the harness at the transmission has been damaged. if for some reason the welder used the chassis as ground the power surge could have trashed one or more modules. there are capacitors in them that could have been fried. this would wipe out the k.a.m. i would disconnect battery and let the truck sit for a while. preferably overnight, reconnect and see what happens. i hope that this wasn't one of the converters covered by the recall. if this is a possibility then i'd be real careful how i handled this.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”