2003 Jeep Wrangler - Internal Repair Man Trans

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
onetonf350
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Internal Repair Man Trans

Post by onetonf350 »

2003 jeep wrangler with 85k manual tranny. We've pulled the trans out saturday night because when you go to shift into second gear it acts like there is no syncros in it and the gears grind keeping it from engaging at all. All other shifting is perfect.

The driver, a retired truck driver admitts to his bad habit of hanging on the shift lever wrong. I'm not a transmission shop, but do you think I should tear into this to fix it or will I need some special tools that would make me regret it? If the truck had alot more miles or had any other problems I would replace it with a complete rebuild but. What do youall think? I would like the experience plus we could use the work if it's worth it. I have the customers blessing either way.

I will be working on which way to go on Tuesday morning.
Chris Page
Can I get a little bit more of "ME" in the monitor?
503-622-3330
http://www.mthoodautoandtire.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Internal repair on manual transmission

Post by steven kiser »

you stated that you're not a transmission shop. if you haven't torn standard transmission apart lately then don't use this as a learning experience. if the customer is willing to put a reman in then that's the way to go. i would also install a NEW clutch while i was in there. cover all your bases. i'm a bit shocked with the price of a jasper reman but that's the way i would go.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

well i guess im a day or two late but yes if you havent done a nv1500 im assuming its a 4.0l you will need some speaical tools to pull it off the case housing it can be trickey ive cracked a few cases in my time. i agree with steve a remain w/new clutch is the way to go. 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
onetonf350

Post by onetonf350 »

Thank you guys. I took your advise. They picked it up and brought it back two days later all rebuilt. 950.00 but saved me the headache I could go without.
Chris Page
Can I get a little bit more of "ME" in the monitor?
503-622-3330
http://www.mthoodautoandtire.com

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”