2003 Jeep Liberty - Ignition Switch Actuator

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
slowtech
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2003 Jeep Liberty - Ignition Switch Actuator

Post by slowtech »

I've been running into jeeps with a broken rod between ignition lock cylinder & ign switch. Dealer says this part is only available with column. Has anyone sourced a replacement rod after market? Thanks Tom.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2003 jeep liberty ignition switch actuator

Post by steven kiser »

the first place that comes to mind is dorman. i'm wondering if this is an issue that is being resolved by an update that isn't being published. i know it's hard to believe but there are times that this does happen. :lol: i can't count how many times i've replaced a simple part and had to renovate the area around it. there were no tsb's and on some i was hard pressed to get the necessary information to do the job.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea steve, Dorman was the first thing I thought of but I did some poking around and came up dry. I also checked my On Demand and there is very little info. So, it may be correct that it is a Dealer item only and that the entire column must be replaced. Seems kind a the trend among auto manufacturers to make available modular units rather than individual pieces.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm seeing more and more of that as well. need nylon sleeves for a ford column pucker up. i told a parts manager to at least give me a reach around. even though we as techs understand the customers can't (some) comprehend it. they feel that there is something we're overlooking. i have a practiced tail of searching and making all sorts of on line inquiries even to the point of looking into companies that make nylon collars to see if there was something i could adapt. it's crazy. there are assemblies that we are forced to purchase and strip the parts we need leaving 75% for the recycle bin. i can understand, what company wants to mass produce, manufacturer purchase, dealer stock, process the order, ship, and the part cost only 8 bucks. talk about loosing money. now attach that part to an assembly that you can charge $185.00 for and manufacture for 6 bucks. the dealer ends up with it on their shelves for 60 bucks. we purchase it for $140.00, strip the $8.00 part off of it, charge the customer the list price, see if there are other things we can strip off of it then toss it. i remember years ago i would save the trigger springs from g.m. turn signal switches. %50 of the issues were they wouldn't cancel. the spring was broken. for years no one made the spring separate. some of the switches were very expensive. i would tear the wheel off, replace the spring, charge the customer 1/2 of what the dealer quoted and put more in my pocket than if i had replaced the switch. whew.............that was a mouth full. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
slowtech

Re: 2003 Jeep Liberty - Ignition Switch Actuator

Post by slowtech »

Found actuator rod through NAPA Belkamp. Just did the second one. Quick & easy.
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: 2003 Jeep Liberty - Ignition Switch Actuator

Post by nickscarcare »

Part #?? That may help the rest of us when we run into it. That is if we remember where we found it last!! LOL :D
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”