2008 Sprinter 2500 - Ign Switch Won't Turn FIXED?

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

2008 Sprinter 2500 - Ign Switch Won't Turn FIXED?

Post by jbadenoch »

Morning gentlemen. I've got this 08 dodge sprinter 2500 3.0 diesel, vin WDYPE845985253020­­­. Came in with key not turning ignition switch.

Removed assy from vehicle and brought to bench. Upon playing with it I was able to tap on assy while turning key and it let the key turn. Each time I turned the key back to off, the only way to get it to turn was to tap and turn. With the key in the on position, I plugged the elec conn and was worried because even now with key turning, the vehicle doesn't crank. I've got a new ign switch from oem and has same issue except i won't tap on this expensive switch. Called Dodge and they say the switch "should" have been keyed by vin when it was ordered. Waiting to hear back from them (oem).. Am I missing something? Because i can get the old key to turn the old switch on the bench by tapping, I can't see it being anything but a mechanical issue with switch.

Any light on this subject would be appreciated.
Last edited by jbadenoch on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2008 Sprinter 2500 - Ign Switch Won't Turn

Post by Tim Martin »

Oh, we have seen a few issues with newer style switch that we had to replace the key because it was worn too much.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2008 Sprinter 2500 - Ign Switch Won't Turn

Post by steven kiser »

Not a key issue. There is an interlock issue with these. When the key is put into the cylinder you should hear a quick buzz. If there isn't the interlock hasn't released. There is a harness that needs to be replaced at the dealer and it needs to be programmed. This is a pretty common issue and we bang the wheel around a bit and it clears the issue so it can be driven. It will need to be programmed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Re: 2008 Sprinter 2500 3.0L Dsl Ignition Switch Won't Turn?

Post by jbadenoch »

Steve, i do not hear a buzz when key is inserted however does this apply to ign switch thats mounted in dash, not column? Tim, we have the customer bringing a new key, I'll let ya know
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

I work on one 08 sprinter 3.0 and it buzzes when you put key in and will not turn till it does. Battery was dead one day and the key would not turn either.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Yep, the dash ones especially. It's an electronic key
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Tim, new key, same issue. Steve I think yer on to something. Diag is tough on this one due to wiring diagrams. I can't find one specifically for the ignition switch. I'm having to go from one diagram to the next, picking up pieces of schematic here and there. I'll definately keep you posted. Thanks for the help so far.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I've had success banging on the steering wheel and vigorously working the key back and forth. Try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so, remove the fuses for the vats and see what happens. If there has been an after market remote start or alarm installed this may be the issue. Not on these but i'm running into a fair share of "I turn the key and nothing happens" finding it's in a remote start issue. The tape loosened up and the key has shifted on the reader ring, etc.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Well, been thru this thing from head to toe and not finding anything except no key turn. Talked with dealer and they say just needs programing. Towing there today, see what happens and stay tuned.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

There is an update on it. Make sure the dealer installs it.
jbadenoch

Re: 2008 Sprinter 2500 3.0L Dsl Ign Switch Won't Turn? FIXED

Post by jbadenoch »

Dealer did the update and replaced the column lock module. I actually watched that lock work, who's to argue. FIXED
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED. I'm just excited to see this one go!!!!!!!!
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Well, the saga continues. Customer states that vent temp control works backwards. Confirmed, hot is cold and cold is hot, but only you decide which is right and which is an illusion. Will try disconnecting battery for a bit on saturday. Once again, I'll keep yall posted and thanks for all the input, great forums!!
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY..................It's a program issue from the dealer or the update was installed incorrectly. There may be a loose ground or something and disconnecting the battery may negate the key program and you'll be back at first base.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY..................It's a program issue from the dealer or the update was installed incorrectly. There may be a loose ground or something and disconnecting the battery may negate the key program and you'll be back at first base.
Good point Steve. I have been there already, not on a Sprinter but on a car one day. Not fun at that point.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Well, went ahead anyway and disconnected battery, at customers request (told him the issues that could develop). Now the ac only blows cold when set to 72 deg. any colder or warmer on setting blows only warm and hot. Key still works though, woo hoo. bringing back to dealer on monday. Once again I'll keep yall posted, and thanks again for the interest and help, it's greatly appreciated.
Bob in sc
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Good luck man.
jbadenoch

Re: 2008 Sprinter 2500 3.0L Dsl Ign Switch Won't Turn.FIXED?

Post by jbadenoch »

Ok, latest update... dealer says it is a problem with the A/C control head. I twisted a few arms and they will be installing labor free and selling me the part at my discounted price. I will bill it through me for the customer and save him as much as I can. Geeze... not the kind of thing I enjoy explaining to customers.

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”