2006 Jeep Liberty - CDR Diesel No Start

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
wiley
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2006 Jeep Liberty - CDR Diesel No Start

Post by wiley »

2006 Jeep liberty Diesel No Start

I have a question. Is the 2.8 4cyl diesel a non-interference engine? Just say that the timing belt was to break, would it get the valves??? :roll:
Think Positive!!!
What can go wrong will.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2006 jeep liberty crd diesel

Post by steven kiser »

As in most cases any dsl with a timing belt i believe this is an interference engine. I took a quick look and it stated in big letters that if the belt wasn't aligned properly during installation damage to heads and valves will (may) occur. I'm not 100% sure on this one since i've never had one in my shop but i've read that the cam timing retards during start up to lower the compression for easier cranking and when it fires and the oil reaches operating pressure it advances the cam timing. Kind of an exaggerated vvt. This is why during t belt alignment there is a 90 degree swing off of TDC when installing the belt. I believe this is for the vvt and if it isn't set up correctly there defiantly will be valve damage.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wiley
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: 2006 jeep liberty crd diesel

Post by wiley »

Thanks, I b elieve you are correct. after reading the article again it does seem that it would get the valves and it looks like it may be a tickler to
repair. I got one brought to me that all of a sudden would not start with no codes , but it sounds like it is out of time while cranking over. This is the first Liberty diesel that I have been exposed to and tring to get my nerve up. HAHAHA Thanks again :D :D :D
Think Positive!!!
What can go wrong will.

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”