2006 Chrysler Pacifica Touring - Eng Noise

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2006 Chrysler Pacifica Touring - Eng Noise

Post by 92zman »

Have one of thesecome in with what sounds like upper end noise about like a bad lifter. Have had the top end apart and could not find anything. When i put it back togetther the noise was gone. But it came back a few days latter. Have read some stuff online about this where people had to replace motor. But would not like to do that if i dont have too. The noise will speed up with rpm.

Anyone heard this before?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Touring - Eng Noise

Post by steven kiser »

If upon removing the top end of an engine and the noise was gone after assembly but came back i would look into a lifter issue. Years ago i had a noise like this and it worked back to the gam gear walking on the cam shaft. This was a head banger. Someone must have dropped the correct key and put one from their tool box in.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Post by 92zman »

when i had it all apart i did see then the cam had some wear on some lobes. This is a over head cam motor and dont really have lifters. I was thinking the frist time i toke it apart it would be a bad rocker. But when i looked at all of them they looked fine. It does have little like tappers in the rockers. Believe they work like a lifter. But how do you tell which one is bad. Thought about pulling it apart getting the valve covers off then putting the intake back on so i could run it and hope see what is going on...
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Those little poppers are the lifters.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Post by 92zman »

how do u tell witch one need replaced
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

It's not easy. Basically what i do is isolate which side by shorting cylinders. As a rule the effected one will have a noise change, may be slight but i've never seen one that didn't. The next thing we do is tear down that side and prepare to replace the rocker assemblies. Before i put it back together i try to wiggle each valve by grabbing the spring and trying to move it side to side to see if it has a bad guide. I also try to get an angle that will allow me to use a pry bar and compress the valve a bit to see how it feels. There is no real defined good or bad feel but if one differs from the others you may have an issue. I got into the habit years ago of dropping all the lifters into a small cauldron filled with 0 synthetic and firing up the burner getting the oil warm. I know synthetic is supposed to be just as viscus hot or cold but i started with regular oil and it just carried over.

Another trick is if it will constantly make to noise off idle but never on idle i strip it down so everything is open and start it and using my finger i can tell buy touching the valve. If you can't run it because of all the stuff that had to be removed i let it run to operating temp, glove up and tear it down, attach a batter charger to the battery and juice the crap out of it and have someone crank it over. You can't stay on the key because you'll burn something up but you should have enough time to find the issue. Don't forget to read any codes before you start tearing into it because we all know we're going to create a bunch of false codes.

Another issue on the Pacifica we need to keep in mind is that there aren't many out there and chrystler stopped producing replacement parts for these. I had one where some dink broke the egr runner off of the intake and taped over the gaping hole. Couldn't get one from the dealer, had my local dealer do a coast to coast search and there either were none or the dealers had pulled them out of inventory. I found a used one in Florida for 1.200 bucks and there were parts missing that i had to pick up else where.
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

if you wind up diagnosing noise as lifters, as a rule i would replace them all. May want to measure cam lobes also if thats the case. If cam badly worn then lifters can't keep up. Good luck.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Going to be working on it today so will let u know. And it does make the noise all the time. Going to try some of this stuff. Thanks alot. Went on to some dodge forums and people are saying they have spend a ton of money at dealer for this kind of noise. That was at the dealer. Will let u know what i find.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Ok got it all apart and took off the valve cover and then put the rest back together and ran it . Found then all the exhaust rockers was making noise and then i did not have oil coming out of them. The intake was shouting it out.Any one seen this before. The car has 5w-30 in it and it calles for 10-30 but i have never seen anything like this before with oil.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

found then the shaft that the exhaust rockers ride on had truned so then they where not getting any oil. Got the new parts on order...
92zman

Post by 92zman »

All fixed thanks for the imput.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Turned or installed improperly? If you haven't tossed the rockers see if any are scored where they ride the valve stem top. If so they may be forcing the rocker to ride tight on the shaft.

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”