1995 Dodge RAM 1500 - Misfire After Trans R&R

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
CalRewireMatt

1995 Dodge RAM 1500 - Misfire After Trans R&R

Post by CalRewireMatt »

Hey, Im in the middle of trying to diagnose a misfire that became present after the trans was replaced due to a blocked check valve in the cooler.

Prior to this the engine ran smooth with no issues, I know cause its my truck.

The cap,rotor, plugs and wires were replaced because even if they were the problem they were going to be pretty soon. Also made sure there wasnt any slop in the distributor.

That didnt fix the issue so as a guess I changed the Crank Sensor, which is good cause we found a washer stuck to the tip of it. Again it didnt fix it.

ohmed the Cam sensor and its in spec. Checked the Cam sync and its spot on.

Pulled the plugs, none are black or wet.

Did a compression test all cylinders save for 1 and 3 were at 180. 1 came in at 160 and 3 at 140. Test was done warmed up.

Id say that the compression test would verify an issue but I cant see how a smooth running engine with a compression issue would stop being smooth after a matter of 3 days.

The o2 was replaced about 5 months ago and the EGR was done about 7 months ago. I can stall the truck by opening the EGR via the bidirectional controls.

No codes are set.

Im at a loss on this one. I dont see any wiring damaged, loose grounds, nothing. Hopefully you guys may be able to point me in the right direction as Ive addressed most everything that is known to go bad and replaced other stuff that looked marginal with no improvement.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: 1995 Dodge RAM 1500 - Misfire After Trans R&R

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I waqs wondering if you wereable to determine which cylinders are missing? Have you checked the fuel pressure and flow. This all could just be a coincedence that it is happening now. Also have you checked the fuel trims to see what the computer is trying to do? You mentioned changing plugs, wires.cap and rotor. Were htey of good quality. I've been burned before not using OEM for this type of thing. Just some thoughts.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Take a look at crank sensor. I've cracked a few causing a misfire (random). The other thing that pops to mind is the dist cap may have been damaged.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:Take a look at crank sensor. I've cracked a few causing a misfire (random). The other thing that pops to mind is the dist cap may have been damaged.
Well, I had similar thoughts but he says he changed the cap and the crank sensor, if I understood the original post.
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

Yeah Steve, I was going to mention cracked cap, although what i re-rread looks like cap was replaced after tranny. I've seen them up against the fire wall with tranny out. Identifying the cylinder will certainly help
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I would check the crank sensor also. Also check the flywheel closely. I know whne I am working on my persoal stuff I may not be as cautious. Ding the flywheel comin out or goin in and ya may have problems. Just a thought.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

compression shows all cylinders with in 25% of each other, 25% of 180 is 45. 135 min
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

I'll assume that no vac hoses got pulled off.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Well, after rereading the post and just not scanning it i see all the replaced parts. I'm wondering if it's a dead skip and not just a real rough idle. The engine may have been forced since the transmission failed. I believe this is the era of the gasket blowing out of the plate on the bottom of the intake. If there is an abnormal amount of vacuum (take off oil cap and place hand over port) that may be the issue. I'm going with (since the initial post was so detailed) there are no codes and the skip can't be nailed down. If the toner ring on the flywheel was bent during the transmission R&R it will cause an issue. Was a ground wire left off? Were the evap hoses crossed?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
CalRewireMatt

Post by CalRewireMatt »

Guys thanks for the input so far.

I havent been able to identify the cylinder, which would make diagnosis a whole lot easier. I used a timing light on each wire to see if I had any odd misses and didnt see anything abnormal.

I used a laser temp probe on the exhaust manifolds to look for a dead cylinder as well and they all seemed to come up to temp although the outter ones were a bit slower (makes sense since I have two exhaust ports right next to each other in the middle cylinders).

Vac has been verified intact.

I used Napa Echlin ignition parts, not the Mileageplus stuff.

The truck definitely feels like a hole down, it idles stable but it shakes and it doesnt clear up or get worse with RPM.

I had a buddies transhop do the R&R. Im not gonna post their name but they are well known for hi performance Diesel trannies and race trannies in the Rancho Cordova area. At this point Ill assume that the flywheel is undamaged.

I doesnt seem fuel related like a pump going south. I know that feeling where its way down on power and it lean pops. No popping like Im running out of gas.

Ive thought Ive addressed ever potential bad spot in the truck short of a new distributor but Ive had Dodges in here with CMP issues and they dont run.

Ill run it up and see if I have an intake leak.

Beyond that, Im gonna let it go. Its a beater I got from the tow yard a couple years ago and has ran fine up until this but I may just look around for a mid 2000s Silverado. I hate giving up but I have limited time to chase down the issue and I dont like changing parts (although like I said the cap, rotor and wires had seen better days and the rotor was burning up at the tip).
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Woah here. Have we gone from a skip to a vibration?
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

You should be able to power balance with a scan tool (modis, verus etc). If not, try unplugging inj 1 by 1. If the shake doesn't increase with eng rpm then maybe Steve's on to something. Good luck
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:Woah here. Have we gone from a skip to a vibration?
Well, at some point as I read the posts late yesterday, I was getting the same feeling. Possibly more of a vibration than a miss.

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”