2008 Jeep Liberty - 3.7L Gas Smell

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2008 Jeep Liberty - 3.7L Gas Smell

Post by Tim Martin »

Customer brought in this 08 Liberty with a 3.7L engine with 75,000 miles and the complaint is an intermittant raw gas smell that only is sensed when the AC is on. She said that it gets bad enough that the AC needs to be turned off so she doesnt get sick. I drove the car on the road for a number of miles with the AC on and brought it back an I went over the entire fuel system including the EVAP system an can find absolutely nothing. I am not sure what next to do. Has anyone run into this be4?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 08 Liberty Gas Smell

Post by steven kiser »

Nothing I can see in the bulletins on this one. I would find out if it's after the tank is filled. It may be a purge issue with the evap canister. I remember issues like this when evap canisters would get raw fuel in them occasionally.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Re: 2008 Jeep Liberty - 3.7L Gas Smell

Post by ricmorin »

Same here. And no pattern failures that I can see. Do they overfill (click click click click) the tank? Has the evap monitor run and passed? In cases like these, I ask the customer to show me. Sometimes it's not even fuel they are smelling. Have them stop by next time it occurs.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ahhhh. Now I know what the issue is. Customer stopped in, a young girl at college. (no negative reflection on the girl or college) I asked her when does she smell the raw fuel odor, after she fills the tank with fuel? Oh, maybe. She did say that when she is putting gas in the tank the fuel nozzle does not shut off, it fills the fill tube an runs out on the ground. Duh!!!! I told her there is the problem. The charcoal cannister is fulla fuel. She took the Jeep cause she had to go. In a hurry - no time to fix the Jeep - she need it NOW! Big WOW! Take it an go an dont come back unless its totally out of commission or you got the time to wait till it is fixed.

Thanks guys for listening. Somedays ya need a break from the "what do we call it?"
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

NUMBER: 14-001-09 REV. A

GROUP: Fuel

DATE: September 1, 2009

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 14-001-09, DATED APRIL 15, 2009, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS

Although this doesn't describe the overfill issue directly I can certainly see how the vent tubes failing like they do in this tsb will cause the fuel not to shut off especially if they feed off of the secondary side of the tank. The first think I would do is telling her to let it idle 90 seconds before filling it and see what happens.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”