Any Chance of the Cloud

Shop Management Software Release News for SE
nessauto
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Any Chance of the Cloud

Post by nessauto »

With 90% of what we deal with being in the cloud. Does Mitchel have any intention of moving to the cloud soon?
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Any Chance of the Cloud

Post by Silky7 »

Hello,

Currently we have a hybrid solution. Manager SE Connection replicates your local database to the cloud, where select data can be queried or entered for sync down back to your machine. We have a number of features (Online appointments for CRM) and a couple of others in the works that will use this mechanism. We are still evaluating a fully-cloud system, but if I might ask: What do you hope to gain/see as the advantages to being fully cloud-based?
M1 Product Manager
nessautosales

Post by nessautosales »

1) I own a small car dealership with a large shop. I'd like to get everything to be able to run remote. This is the only part that I can't do that with.
2) Cloud based should eliminate the problems with windows updates.
3) I'm assuming to do this it would maybe bring other things to the table. Like a more seamless integration with the techs. While bolton is great...writers having to constantly manuever 3-4 windows at the same time all day can get to be a bit tedious.
4) Cloud is the norm.... There's several other shop managment companys that the cloud allows them to have a much more robust system. I've researched them and the only reason I haven't switched is we've been with Mitchell since 05 and the thought of switching softares and all the issues that come with it make my stomach turn.
pbuckheit

Post by pbuckheit »

As a multi-store tire operation we would like to share customer files and see each others inventory for transfer. Could the cloud help us get there ?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I can certainly see where a cloud hosted database could be helpful, but I know from firsthand experience how data can be lost through NO FAULT OF MY OWN. I prefer to have my database directly on my machine. That way I have full control. Many people say they want full cloud control but only a tiny minority really need FULL access. Most just want access to reports and the like. In this day and age there's another BIG data breach every week. I don't need to add my shop to that list.

There are many options to run remote desktop today. I can easily access my system without the need of the cloud.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

pbuckheit wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:44 am
As a multi-store tire operation we would like to share customer files and see each others inventory for transfer. Could the cloud help us get there ?
You should look into Manager Enterprise. From what I know, Enterprise can share customers and inventory across multiple locations. Talk to your sales rep or see https://mitchell1.com/managerenterprise-pro/
603-622-6434 x203

kootenay
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by kootenay »

I just wanted to chime in on this one. I had the same thoughts about Mitchell being cloud based, and after quite a few years on and off with Mitchell, I switched over to AllData Manage Online that is cloud based a little over a year ago. Looking back, I didn't need the cloud at all but I thought it would be great if I could look at things from home, forgot to order parts, look at sales, schedule and so on.

It is very slow, to a point where it is painful and that's with a new Surface Book with 16GB of RAM. Everything else on my computer is fast, except for AllData. I don't know if it's because of their servers or if it's just the way it is with an intense program that is cloud based.

I have found that for all of the Automotive Management programs out there, there isn't one that has everything, and I didn't leave Mitchell because I didn't like it, I left as I thought I needed the cloud.

I've already been in touch with Mitchell, and I guess they will welcome me back. :)
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

kootenay wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:57 am
I just wanted to chime in on this one. I had the same thoughts about Mitchell being cloud based, and after quite a few years on and off with Mitchell, I switched over to AllData Manage Online that is cloud based a little over a year ago. Looking back, I didn't need the cloud at all but I thought it would be great if I could look at things from home, forgot to order parts, look at sales, schedule and so on.

It is very slow, to a point where it is painful and that's with a new Surface Book with 16GB of RAM. Everything else on my computer is fast, except for AllData. I don't know if it's because of their servers or if it's just the way it is with an intense program that is cloud based.

I have found that for all of the Automotive Management programs out there, there isn't one that has everything, and I didn't leave Mitchell because I didn't like it, I left as I thought I needed the cloud.

I've already been in touch with Mitchell, and I guess they will welcome me back. :)
We most certainly will. :D
M1 Product Manager
kootenay
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by kootenay »

I'm back, good to be here. Thanks to the Transporter team who did a great job, and the Tech support today was fantastic.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

We are happy to have you back. Between Support and your friends here, I'm sure you'll have plenty of success.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Welcome back! :)
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Welcome back!

Not sure they'd let me back. :lol:
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.

Return to “SE News”