2013 Honda Pilot - Traction Light On After Coil Went Bad

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2013 Honda Pilot - Traction Light On After Coil Went Bad

Post by sbebenelli »

Got a 2013 Honda Pilot 3.5 that was in limp in mode with the CEL, traction control, ABS lights on. Had code P0304 in the PCM and 77-1 powertrain system fault and 78-1 VTM-4 control unit fault in the VTM-4 module.

It had a cyl 4 misfire all the time. I switch the coil to another cyl and it followed it. Replaced the coil and cleared the codes. Vehicle runs fine now but the traction light is still on. All other lights remain off. Recheck for codes none present.

I called the customer asking if that light was on before the running problem happened and was told no. It has a traction off button on the dash and pressing it does nothing,

Anyone have any ideas? How can a light be on with no codes?

The owner is a know it all. When I told him it had a bad coil he ended googling it because he didn't believe a coil would make the other lights come on. When I called to tell him about the traction light being on and if they had it turned off I was told there is no way to disable traction control. I had to inform him of the big rectangle traction off button in the dash.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2013 Pilot traction light on after coil went bad

Post by ricmorin »

Which VSA light is illuminated, the VSA light or the VSA OFF light?

You didn't mention whether you went into ABS/Trac and checked or cleared codes there. Did you?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ricmorin wrote:Which VSA light is illuminated, the VSA light or the VSA OFF light?
It doesn't say off so I assume it's the light saying there is a fault
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

So there are no codes in the ABS/Trac unit?
603-622-6434 x203

sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ricmorin wrote:
You didn't mention whether you went into ABS/Trac and checked or cleared codes there. Did you?
I was in all modules & did a code clear on all modules
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ricmorin wrote:So there are no codes in the ABS/Trac unit?
No codes
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I have a Snap On VERUS Pro and it has a scan all modules for codes and a clear all modules for codes. That's what I did. I wonder if I should have went into the ABS module and tried clearing it that way.

It showed the ABS module being cleared but maybe a bug in the software that was not actually clearing it through the clear all module function.

It was late yesterday and the guy had to have it so it's not here at the moment.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Honda's can be weird sometimes. I'd go into the ABS module manually and try it that way.

Sometimes with Honda's I have to do system reset by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them for one minute. I have a CRV here right now where that fixed a problem with the cluster.
603-622-6434 x203

sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ricmorin wrote:Honda's can be weird sometimes. I'd go into the ABS module manually and try it that way.

Sometimes with Honda's I have to do system reset by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them for one minute. I have a CRV here right now where that fixed a problem with the cluster.
I've got a call into the guy to see if he can stop by sometime and I'll try that. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks for the tips.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2013 Honda Pilot - Traction Light On After Coil Went Bad

Post by brianp87 »

Vsa and traction lights come on all the time on Toyotas with misfire and coil issues. I see it a lot. It aslo will flash the cruise control light. I have yet to see it on a Honda but I do not get a lot of Hondas in with misfires or coil issues.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

brianp87 wrote:Vsa and traction lights come on all the time on Toyotas with misfire and coil issues. I see it a lot. It aslo will flash the cruise control light. I have yet to see it on a Honda but I do not get a lot of Hondas in with misfires or coil issues.
Yes that part was no surprise to me. It's the fact the light will not go off that has me stumped.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

[quote="ricmorin"
Sometimes with Honda's I have to do system reset by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them for one minute. I have a CRV here right now where that fixed a problem with the cluster.[/quote]

This here sounds like your answer if you cannot find any codes in the abs module.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I have lost count of how many times a light was on or something wasn't working along side the issue it was brought in for. This is one of the main reasons I started requiring a thorough visual inspection as well as a quick scanner hook up and code scan. While the techs are in the process of a visual and physical (shaking and spinning wheels, inspecting steering linkage, banging exhaust etc.) the scanner is doing a full scan of all systems. I get a bit "freaky" or so I'm told if a tech is watching the scanner going through it's paces since it sometimes takes 10 minutes. This process is a bit tech time consuming but it has saved me from "eating" something I shouldn't have and being made aware of something I should peak to customer and or vehicle owner about as another issue. Since I started this program (stepped it up and reworked it a bit in the past year to include a detailed customer copy with pictures available) my tire, brake and front end sales have increased around 15%. Getting back to point and sorry for taking a walk through the park but the traction, steering angle sensor and a few other codes may have been hanging around needing a solid fail to trigger the light and taking them with it. The first thing I do is make the customer aware that this is the issue so you can get paid if you so wish and take the thought of it's something you didn't do that caused this. A code like this is like when a good friend takes another person he likes but you can't stand along with him (unannounced to anyone else) on a 5 day get away in the mountains that has been planned for months. Kind of ruins it a bit and next time an outing is planned something needs to be put in place to avoid this from happening again. A detailed inspection sheet comes to mind and lets not forget that there is and always will be people that will swear up and down that there was no other light or symptom when it came in. Again I'm off track so lets get back shall we. I would take a tech or send another with the primary so he can look at live data when vehicle is being driven. Look at each individual wheel speed, transmission shift and fluid temp as well as input and output sensor readings if it has them. Another area to look is "pending codes", I'm not sure if I read anything about them. I would look into any reason why it would kick out of all wheel drive or if a sensor is stuck at false positive because it can't read or switch back. If your scanner is able I would enter into the TCM and run it through as many tests as I can to see if that will help something reset. There are (very few now a days) issues that will keep tossing codes once they are introduced by other issues. Wiring issues, blown fuses and as long as I mentioned this I'm seeing fuses that are blown that aren't even mentioned anywhere in any diagnostic article as to relating to a system I'm looking into. I've found blown fuses listed as passenger side power windows that effected shift patterns so I've made it a cardinal sin not to check all fuses in all panels as part of a diagnostic procedure. I'll end with a quick thought on this, are the wheels and tires O.E.M.? Seen that as well. Have a great day and I'm all relaxed since the "Heat Wave" has final broken and today will be below 90. :roll: :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Never heard back from the guy. I assume the light went out and thought about calling but wonder if it's worth it.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

As a rule I always follow through with things so if it were me I would make the call.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Honda / Acura”