2013 Honda Pilot P1659 - FIXED

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2013 Honda Pilot P1659 - FIXED

Post by Tim Martin »

I got this 2013 Honda Pilot Touring with a 3.5L engine. The issue is that we replaced the timing belt and water pump. Now, we want to test drive it and when the accelerator is depressed, the engine will not accelerate. There is a code P1659 that as soon as I erase it, the code returns immediately. The code relates to Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) Control Relay OFF Malfunction. There was no issue before the vehicle was brought in but now, we have this. Information is sketchy and very little input from other techs on any forums. Am seeking info please. In going down diagnostic sequence, I get to where is says reprogram PCM. Really? We didn't touch the thing. How can that be?

I see I forgot to mention that in the dash, there is a VTM+4 light on and a VSA light on. If I go into the transmission there is two codes related to high pressure. I can erase them but we soon as I start the engine, they reappear. In the anti lock system, there is a 83-11 code. I am very puzzled and frustrated as there was nothing wrong when the vehicle first came in.
Last edited by Tim Martin on Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2013 Honda Pilot P1659

Post by ricmorin »

If he removed it, your tech may have forgotten to reinstall G101. This ground runs the transmission pressure solenoid and the pcm. That would explain the high pressure codes and possibly the p-code. The 83-11 is just a notification that there is a pcm code. Here's a picture of where it's located. Looks like it may be around or under the ps pump. Make sure it's tight and secure. #58 in the pic.
G101
G101
g101.JPG (47.85 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Thanks for the input Ric but this ground is on, clean, and tight.

Any other ideas?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

A few times, too few to mention, plugs have been plugged into incorrect sensors. Was key in the on position when battery was attached or key on, battery attached when sensors plugged in? This could cause a surge and wipe out the pcm. I would jump outside the go and look for spun ground lugs and single broken wires since this has the sounds of a feed back issue. Also when checking fuses I've run across ones where even though there is negative or positive on both sides of the fuse the levels are different meaning that fuse is blown so look at meter not just listen for noise.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Make sure you do a voltage drop test across it. Just because it looks good and tight doesn't mean it's conducting properly. If it passes the test, then I would deal with the p code manually, not from a trouble tree. Those things are written by engineers and rarely are the quickest way to a solution.

I assume the relay is coming on? Fuse is good? etc etc. Steve makes a good point about pcm's and key on situations.
603-622-6434 x203

Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Actually the relay is not coming on. The control circuit (pin A29) from the PCM is not activating the ETCS relay thus the code P1659.

Yes, Steve is exactly correct with his observations of the things he mentioned. We did however disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery as per service information and our normal proceedure.

We did not disconnect G302 Ric, so the integrity of that ground should be ok although I admit in this electronic age we cannot assume things unless we verify them.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Cool. A29 provides the ground for the relay. I assume you tested this both at the relay and at the pcm connector? Still no ground at pcm?
603-622-6434 x203

Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok guys! I found the problem and fixed it. I got my Fault Finder Tool out and connected it to the circuit that I felt was the problem. I picked up an open wire at connection C102 just below the PCM. I took that connection apart and found the male end of the connector was bent over. We straightened it out and now we got our good running engine back.

Thanks guys for your help. It is much appreciated and steered us towards the fix.
steven kiser

Re: 2013 Honda Pilot P1659 - FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

Thanks for posting your thanks and the repair. I've lost count of how many bent male connectors I've dealt with and rue my future ones.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Honda / Acura”