2000 Honda CRV - Random Miss

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
wheelz
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2000 Honda CRV - Random Miss

Post by wheelz »

This car came in with a check eng light on. Checked codes found a evap leak code. Found out that customer lost gas cap and drove two days with out it and then got an aftermarket one. I then cleared the code for him to drive it and see if it would come back on. When the car was pulled out of the shop the check eng light started to blink; came back into shop and rechecked, found code p1399 in temporary codes.

Let it run a little longer and found misfire on cyl 4 in perment codes. I then put on new plugs and wires with cap and rotor. (100,000 on it and they had not been done) started car and same thing. This whole time the car has and does not have a miss to the motor it runs smooth. I have 38 psi fuel pressure running at idel and 45 psi when the throttle is snaped. The injectors all test good. the timing marks are dead on, and I even tried a distobutor and can not get this light to go off.

Any ideas that anyone has would be great thanks.
Wheelz
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2000 Honda CRV - Random Miss

Post by ricmorin »

wheelz wrote:This car came in with a check eng light on. Checked codes found a evap leak code. Found out that customer lost gas cap and drove two days with out it and then got an aftermarket one. I then cleared the code for him to drive it and see if it would come back on. When the car was pulled out of the shop the check eng light started to blink; came back into shop and rechecked, found code p1399 in temporary codes.

Let it run a little longer and found misfire on cyl 4 in perment codes. I then put on new plugs and wires with cap and rotor. (100,000 on it and they had not been done) started car and same thing. This whole time the car has and does not have a miss to the motor it runs smooth. I have 38 psi fuel pressure running at idel and 45 psi when the throttle is snaped. The injectors all test good. the timing marks are dead on, and I even tried a distobutor and can not get this light to go off.

Any ideas that anyone has would be great thanks.
A common issue with this engine is the valves being too tight. Make sure the adjustnment is ok. If you find one you can't adjust out, the valve seat has worn into the head. Make sure compression is good, both static and running. You should also do a leak-down test as well. Intake leaks are possible on these too, so check for that also. There's a few ideas to start.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2000 Honda CRV - Random Miss

Post by brianp87 »

Yes valve adj is huge on these and the rav 4

Return to “Honda / Acura”