1994 Honda Civic EX - A/C Problem

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
LRAMP

1994 Honda Civic EX - A/C Problem

Post by LRAMP »

I have a 1994 Honda Civic EX, 1.6L engine with an A/C problem. The system pressurizes normally, and cools down to within spec. After driving the car for about 15 minutes, the compressor shuts off. The ambient temperature is over 100 degress at the present time. The compressor will turn on after the the temperature inside the car reaches the ambient temperature. I have changed the receiver/drier. I have not changed the expansion valve, but I think that's the next move. The thermostat appears to be working normally. I cannot locate a high side or low side pressure switch; the expansion valve is next. OD5 doesn't give me any troublshooting for this particular anomaly. (Obviously, we don't work on too many Honda AC systems.)

Any Suggestions?

Leo Ramp
Ramp Automotive
Lampasas, TX
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1994 Honda Civic EX - A/C Problem

Post by ricmorin »

Yes. I have one.

The compressor is controlled by 2 items according to the wiring diagram in OD5. The high/low combo pressure switch (located lf) and the AC thermostat(behind glovebox). These should be easy to confirm whether they have power, ground and functioning. I'd start there. There is also a thermal limiter on the AC compressor circuit that could cause the compressor to stop. Very simple to see if power is getting through the limiter.

The pressure switch is located close to the radiator LF under the two relays. Pull the glovebox and you'll see the thermostat to the left of the recirc door. Thermal limiter is mounted on the compressor.

HTH
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

what's the pressure readings at the time it cuts out?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
LRAMP

Post by LRAMP »

it was the compressor and the expansion valve. One was masking the other.
Thanks for the response!

Leo Ramp
RAMP Automotive
Lampasas, TX
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

hope there isn't a debris trail in the lines. may i suggest installing a filter that can be spliced into the pressure line.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Honda / Acura”